CL Scam?????

/ CL Scam????? #11  
I have been keeping my eye out for a mobile dimension sawmill for awhile and found one yesterday on craigslist. I will be driving down south in Dec and can check it out and pick it up then. Any one know a safe way to give the guy some earnest money and yet keep my money safe if it is a scam or isnt in the shape he says it is? I am still waiting for the serial number and more pictures but so far it seems real and he seemed alright on the phone.:confused:
Rick

/ CL Scam????? #12  
Maybe you could both agree to have a third party hold the money?? Maybe someone well known and respected in the sellers area (but not connected to the seller? That was just a thought anyway. But really, if you find a deal on CL and go to the trouble of looking at it, you probably should be prepared to pay cash and take it home at the same time. Jmho but that could avoid a couple of pitfalls.

/ CL Scam????? #13  
If you *really* want it... make time now to go and look/get it. Otherwise, first one with money... that's my way, anyway. Too many tire kickers out there. Also, I rarely drop the price on the first couple of weeks... especially, if I have a couple other people waiting behind you...

There was a cultivator I really wanted (price was right) no photos but "field" ready, good condition... when I got there it was "scrape yard" ready, I made fun of him to his face, "you joking? where's the field ready one?" That's the only guy that did not "advertise" it correctly...

BTW, If you talked to him on the phone, you have a record of it and he'll be easy to find... so I would not think it's a scam. Too easy to catch him if it's a scam with phone records.

EDIT: I see it might not be too easy to drive to see it because of your location, kodiak island... I would talk to the guy and look at photos closely... if you want it maybe he'll work with ya'

/ CL Scam????? #14  
That's a good idea, maybe a business by where he lives or with a local bank, they might hold it. I am in Alaska and he and the sawmill are in Idaho and I won't drive down there til Dec or I would go check it out now and pick it up. Thanks
Rick

He did just list it but has had no interest yet and I am in the middle of putting up a 26x50 building solo not to mention the grand or so it would cost me to fly down and get it now. It is a newer model and more money than I wanted to spend so I could just wait and see if it is still available in Dec when I drive down. There is another mill in Michigan and one in Alabama too but a little out of the way driving down to Or.

Last edited:
   / CL Scam????? #15  
Whoops!.. looks like that "good deal" is all over the net.! I though maybe it was just an honest mistake, but looks like not. But then who would try to buy that tractor for $2100?
Quote:"You cant flim-flam an honest man"
George C Scott in "The Flim-Flam Man"

James K0UA

/ CL Scam????? #16  
I say if anyone really thinks that is a legitimate ad, you deserve to have your money ripped off.

/ CL Scam????? #17  
I say if anyone really thinks that is a legitimate ad, you deserve to have your money ripped off.

I agree ... I mean come on ... its just not possible to buy them that cheap.

/ CL Scam????? #18  
Most of those CL scams have a contact email first thing I do is google the email to see what show up.. Then Flag if posted multiple cities.

/ CL Scam????? #19  
Craigslist is loaded with scams. Most of the Scammers are on Phishing Expos, looking for EMail addresses and your information.

Just about 100% of the time,this is what they are after.

Greg

/ CL Scam????? #20  
Take a look at this, what do you think,
I Emailed the guy, lives close, wonder if he'll Email me back?

2003 John Deere Compact Tractor Mower Loader Backhoe

Here is the add for those who look for it after the posting is flagged. I had to snip it in two sections. I left the email address out as not to encourage anyone to contact him/her.

jd cl.JPG

jd cl 2.JPG