Forks Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks #11  
Somehow I have it in my head it was a $500-600 deal for the setup. But I could be thinking of something else.

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks #12  
MadReferee, I agree that most likely the bucket would be the 1st point to fail. With that in mind, let's say that we each purchase a set of forks rated for 1000 lbs for our identical tractors.
You bought a set of clamp on forks to fasten to the floor of the loader bucket that is 3/16 steel. Forks are now fastened to a flat piece of steel and are rated to pick up 1000lbs, and do with no problem.
I bought a drive on set of forks that fasten at 3 points to the top of the 3/16 steel bucket where the steel is bent over to give the bucket rigidity. My forks are also rated to pick up 1000lbs and do so with no problem.
Both sets of forks are rated with the same 1000lb rating, both sets of forks work just as advertised. Which set of forks, or should I say which bucket will last the longest with equal
amount of use?

Brian

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Which set of forks, or should I say which bucket will last the longest with equal amount of use?)</font>

Both will last the same time, assuming the rated capacity of each bucket is not exceeded.

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks
According to the owners manual for my loader, here are the specs:
breakout force: 2790lbs
lift capacity at full height 1100lbs
weight of bucket: 215 lbs

Is there anyway to determine lifting capacity at 1/4 height or 1/2 height? Since the loader can lift 1100 to full height and breakout at 2790, can the bucket handle that without a worry? What capacity forks would be safe?

I would like the forks to move fallen logs and stumps after I dig them up. I thing the bar on the hook on forks would give me a place to attach a chain to hold the stumps on. In the past, I just used the bucket to roll larger stumps down to my "stump dump." Not much control doing that. Just thinking that forks would give me a place to lift a stump, even if it's only a few inches. Leaning toward hook on because of the easy adjustability. If money was no object would go for the quick attach option in a moment, but it's not.

Bob

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks #15  
I made a fork attachment that doesn't apply any pressure to the bottom or top of the bucket. Like Maddog, I have been able to move anything I have needed to move at my residential setting. I am not too familiar with the hook on type, do they easily fall off? Mine are quick to put on and won't fall off.

FEL additions

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks #16  
Dargo,

so how much was your QA pallet fork?

thanks

/ Clamp on forks vs. hook on forks #17  
Trail_Time,
You can likely find a different brand for less money, I bought the BobCat brand that my dealer had in stock. The QA frame and a set of 42" forks cost me $700.

That is about twice what a set of clamp on or hook on forks would have cost but, as I mentioned, losing 30% of the lifting capacity was too steep of a penalty for me. I'm aware that most loaders will lift more than their rated capacity but, no matter how you slice it, the laws of physics dictate an approximate 30% loss of whatever capacity you have.