Mowing Clean Cut

/ Clean Cut #1  

retired007

Tractor
New Holland 3930 Kobota Zd21 Mule 4010 New HollandTZ25DA
I bought a NH 3930 and have an AT2572 Landpride mower. Could anyone give me any advice on cutting height and tractor speed to get clean cut.

/ Clean Cut #2  
I think my blades are set about 3" high. It depends on the yard. I set them high enough so there is minimum scalping. As far as speed goes this is limited how much bouncing my old bones can take mowing for 5 hours.

/ Clean Cut #3  
007, Congratulations on the 3930. Mine is a "96", and I love it. I use a Woods rm660 finish mower on mine, and it works well set at about 2.5". Much lower will scalp mine. My Woods mower is a 60" mower, and it is just to narrow for my use. tractor tires are set out further than that, and it wont cut the tire tracks. No fault of mower though & I have been looking to go to the Woods PRD84" . I like to set mine to cut at the same height as my botaZD21. that way I can use the ZD as a trim mower... :laughing:
As Whistlepig said, it depends on how smooth you yard is for how fast you can mow. You will soon be the judge of that. don't have to mow flat out, so take it easy and keep and eye on where you been and if it looks good where you know you have cut, then you can increase speed until it DOESN'T look good where you cut. :laughing: Sharp blades really help!!! It's easier to find the rocks with sharp blades. :p Let us know how your doing. Would love to see pics of the 3930.

/ Clean Cut
Thanks guys for the info. Dapper, I also have a ZD21 that I use to mow the lawn and trim after use of the Landpride. They are kind of expensive for trim mowers don't you think. My wife thought so. I use the ZD21 under trees and in small corners etc. My 3930 is a "97" model and looks to be very well taken care of. I bought it from a lady who had purchased it new and had sold her 10 acre farm and was moving to the city. She made me promise to keep it inside so I think it was treated very well. I use the 3930 to mow about 10 acres that I had used for raising horses. It was a little rough for the ZD so it took a long time to mow. Since I am retired I don't have all that time to waste mowing(haha). I have only mowed this a couple of times since I bought the 3930 and had mowed in 4th gear with the mower set as high as it could be set. I did not get a good clean cut so thought I would check here to get some info from experienced users. Thanks again for your input.

/ Clean Cut #5  
My cfo (wife) thinks the same thing, but what do they know about mowing grass??? :laughing: If you have many things to mow around (that cfo planted :confused2:) the z's will do the job. Best investment I made. Had mine for 10yr, and expect to get 5 more anyway. :thumbsup: If your mowing with the z, then you know all about the speed issures. thing can cut WAY faster than I can run in my yard.
I bought a NH 3430 about 3 yr ago, and liked it so well that when my 3930 came up with 300hr on it, I couldn't say no. Guy that had it only mowed grass with it, and kept it waxed in the garage. (kinds like now..:p) Truly is show room. I couldn't be happier with my 15yr old tractor. :D But I do need to sell the 3430. I think it will magically turn into a RTV900 if I wait very long.. :D:D

/ Clean Cut #6  
I bought a NH 3930 and have an AT2572 Landpride mower. Could anyone give me any advice on cutting height and tractor speed to get clean cut.

If it's a brush hog type mower, make sure the front edges of the mower is lower than the back edge by ~1/2". It'll take less power to mow. Mow to a heightof 2"-3".