Cleaning out a unused conduit

/ Cleaning out a unused conduit
I like them, but as you know the cost of the tools doesn't really make it practical for a one time shot with only a couple of terminations. For me, by the time I'm done I'll have over 200 terminations in 9 different patch panels. I have a 24 strand cable from my electronics room out to a main patch cabinet in the center of the ranch and a 12 strand cable from there to each building as well as 6 strand cables to each security camera location. All OCC tight-tube PVC jacketed and water blocked cable rated for underground use in conduit.

Aczlan,
I can post links if you're interested. Fiber has a little bit of a learning curve, but not bad. It is doable by a capable homeowner if they are willing to try.

I'm now a certified installer, but that's only because the city (my employer) sent me to school to get the certification. I terminated lots of fiber long before I got the paper.

I would be interested in links for my next project (running fiber for cameras in the barn for when the goats/llamas are near being due), but for the terminations, I will probably post an ad on Craigslist and find someone (like yourself) who:
1. Knows how to do the terminations
2. Has the tools to do it right (and check that it was done right)
I may watch and try my hand at one or two, but from what I have seen the tools are a little spendy unless you have a bunch of terminations to do.

Aaron Z

/ Cleaning out a unused conduit #22  
While I would like to go with fiber, I have to run a phone line, a cable TV line and a data line to each house. I dont know that the budget ($2-400) will allow for fiber to do all of that, and if I run one copper line, I may as well run all copper lines.

Good to know

That is the way that I am leaning. I can terminate and patch CAT5 myself, fiber would require having someone come out and terminate it.
Any recommendations of makes and models of lightening protectors?

Thanks

Aaron Z

We use a lot of this line of protectors
ITW Linx Surge Protectors

I see your point about having to run some copper anyway.

The best protection gear I have ever seen is made by Transtector, but it is very expensive, the itwlinx stuff is good, and a lot cheaper.

James K0UA

/ Cleaning out a unused conduit #23  
We use a lot of this line of protectors
ITW Linx Surge Protectors

I see your point about having to run some copper anyway.

The best protection gear I have ever seen is made by Transtector, but it is very expensive, the itwlinx stuff is good, and a lot cheaper.

James K0UA

I second the ITW Linx - that is what we'd use. If you don't use their AC power strip you must (MUST) separately ground the Ethernet protector.
Mike

/ Cleaning out a unused conduit #24  
I would be interested in links for my next project (running fiber for cameras in the barn for when the goats/llamas are near being due), but for the terminations, I will probably post an ad on Craigslist and find someone (like yourself) who:
1. Knows how to do the terminations
2. Has the tools to do it right (and check that it was done right)
I may watch and try my hand at one or two, but from what I have seen the tools are a little spendy unless you have a bunch of terminations to do.

Aaron Z

I've got to head to work, but I'll try to remember to post some links tonight.

/ Cleaning out a unused conduit #25  

Attachments

• LAN-618-EN.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 125
  • AMP 492642-1 Instructions.pdf
    688.8 KB · Views: 99
  • vtvr1500.pdf
    499.8 KB · Views: 192
  • vr2100.pdf
    498.6 KB · Views: 130
  • vt1101m.pdf
    446.4 KB · Views: 125