Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations?

/ Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations?
You need ground contact treated wood.
I had, and have, ground contact treated wood. What I don't have is the double treated ground contact/salt water wood. Unobtainium around here.

We have aggressive insects, clay soil, and not much of a winter to put a damper on them.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations? #12  
I had, and have, ground contact treated wood. What I don't have is the double treated ground contact/salt water wood. Unobtainium around here.

We have aggressive insects, clay soil, and not much of a winter to put a damper on them.

All the best,

Peter
I just drove by a place that makes it.

🤣Thanks Bruce! :ROFLMAO:

That is "Plan K". It would be closer to "Plan B", if it didn't add so much additional pressure to the down slope retaining walls. At least with a concrete retaining wall, it has some longitudinal strength and rigidity.

This being California, on a slope, on clay soil, I think of everything, soil, trees, roads, etc., as being in slow motion downhill, not necessarily restrainable long term. Even the county road, which I am sure was better built than my driveway, is practically graffitied with tar strips patching cracks from road slippage and movement.

All the best,

Peter

I just drove by a place that makes it.
Yup! Last time I looked for it, the only supplier that I could find was in your neck of the woods. Many congratulations! (Well, I also found one in Canada...)

The cost for shipping damp wood that far just put the project into a "go back to the drawing board and do it again" category. If I had known how bad the insect damage would be, I wouldn't have done the fence with pressure treated 8x8s. FWIW: soaking the ends with d-limonene is supposed to make them more resistant.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations? #15  
Yup! Last time I looked for it, the only supplier that I could find was in your neck of the woods. Many congratulations! (Well, I also found one in Canada...)

The cost for shipping damp wood that far just put the project into a "go back to the drawing board and do it again" category. If I had known how bad the insect damage would be, I wouldn't have done the fence with pressure treated 8x8s. FWIW: soaking the ends with d-limonene is supposed to make them more resistant.

All the best,

Peter

You can make your own. Get some posts and set them upright in a pan with a mix of coppertox and diesel. Nothing will eat that. Coppertox from the feed store. Get some soaking now. And when you get the holes cleaned out they'll be ready.

You may can smolder the old posts. Start a fire on top and set half a drum over it with a brick or block under one side so it can get air. Used drums ten bucks, so five bucks a hole. And a whole lot of planters when finished, and drums will be clean to use.

Thanks, I did look into that as well. You are lucky that your feedstores stock copper tox at full strength. Our local feed stores don't stock the good stuff, and even the weak stuff is by the pint.

The goal around here is 1.5lbs/cu.ft. of copper naphthenate, usually by targeting a 24hour soak in a 11% solution of 68% copper naphthenate in diesel (1+8). Right now that's running just shy of $2,000, (15 gallons of 68% delivered) just to treat the posts, which are running another $3,000. Plus the hassle of soaking and drying 40 posts. That starts to make steel look attractive...

All the best,

Peter

So,... I have been digging around trying to find examples of people safely burning out fence post stumps from concrete anchors, and I am coming up empty. Can anyone who has done this post some detailed instructions?

@ROUSTABOUT How long does it take to smolder a post? (I have quite a few of these to do and I have some concerns about setting the county on fire, open flames, embers, all that. Over the last decade, two neighbors had burns get away from them, one firefighting bill was a $58,000, the other was over $1Million...) We are technically a no burn area, so I would need to have a detailed plan for the fire marshall.

I found a guy who bores lag bolts into the stump and pried the post out, but it was in wet clay, so I'm not impressed (that's easy, I have clay. BTDT), and not out of a concrete footer. I may still give it a go, as rot tends to be at ground level. I can get close to a ton of lift on the tractor FEL.

Stay tuned...this project is a must do, at some point soon.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations? #18  
So,... I have been digging around trying to find examples of people safely burning out fence post stumps from concrete anchors,

You need the barrel to make it smolder. No burn, instead of propping barrel up, cut a slot in barrel and screw window screen over it. The screen will keep hot things in and let air in. Make one and try that baby out. I'd even be soaking the others with diesel so they will be ready to smolder down. Around here stumps are soldered out. But you could cut a hole in bottom of drum too to speed things up, 4x4 or so. Screw screen over hole. Your posts are dry and should go fast. You can twist 5he drum so it cuts into ground and no embers get out. Try one and see if it gets done over a weekend.

/ Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations? #19  
Have you tried throwing more insects into the hole and letting them finish the job?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Sixty of them is quit a bit. Can you tell how much of the post is in the concrete? Does the post go through the concrete to dirt, or is it sitting on concrete as well as surrounded by concrete?

As discussed, an auger down the middle of the wood might bite into something and OUCH!

Do you have access to long wood boring bits and a large drill to do some tests? Once you do one, you'll know if it's feasible or not.

As others have mentioned, how hard would it be to shift over a few feet and just put in new posts and bury the old?

/ Cleaning out and reusing some old concrete fence post foundations? #20  
Just a suggestion on the poles for the ground contact. The pole barn building companies have built up laminated posts that I think are the real deal on the ground contact preservative.. You might find some through them?