Cleaning roller pump

/ Cleaning roller pump #1  

Laminarman

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40DA
I have a Hypro 8 roller pump and want to clean it out after using Roundup. Do I flush with water through the tank then lubricate it by running diesel through the tank as well? Or do I disconnect all the darn fittings and clamps and pour lubricant (diesel or antifreeze) in the ports and hand turn it? Seems I can't find this answer, and looks like a lot of work after each use! Thanks in advance.

/ Cleaning roller pump
I have a Hypro 8 roller pump and want to clean it out after using Roundup. Do I flush with water through the tank then lubricate it by running diesel through the tank as well? Or do I disconnect all the darn fittings and clamps and pour lubricant (diesel or antifreeze) in the ports and hand turn it? Seems I can't find this answer, and looks like a lot of work after each use! Thanks in advance.

/ Cleaning roller pump #3  
Personally, I flushed mine with water, then filled it with antifreeze and left the antifreeze in it until the next time I was going to use it. But I didn't have many "fittings" to disconnect because mine was plumbed so it just amounted to about the same thing as unscrewing a garden hose from a faucet.

/ Cleaning roller pump #4  
Personally, I flushed mine with water, then filled it with antifreeze and left the antifreeze in it until the next time I was going to use it. But I didn't have many "fittings" to disconnect because mine was plumbed so it just amounted to about the same thing as unscrewing a garden hose from a faucet.

/ Cleaning roller pump #5  
laminarman:

The right way to do it is to first slosh it out with water and some soap, drain, then put in water and amonia mix at about one gallon per 100 gallons. Slosh it around, spray a little through the nozzles/pump; let sit 6 hrs (or overnight). Then for round up they recommend a product called nurtosol that neutralizes the acids in the roundup (you can skip this for most 24D or Milestone or Clopyd). You can then run either diesel through it or the rv winterizer.

Now that is what the "textbook" approach states. I personally just do the water soap slosh, drian, amonia water mix, let it set over night, rince it one more time with water, and then drain the hoses etc with air (or if I am going to use it in a month or so when it won't freeze don't drain). I then run a little diesel in the pump (just turn it by hand, dump some in the inlet).

This should work...

/ Cleaning roller pump #6  
laminarman:

The right way to do it is to first slosh it out with water and some soap, drain, then put in water and amonia mix at about one gallon per 100 gallons. Slosh it around, spray a little through the nozzles/pump; let sit 6 hrs (or overnight). Then for round up they recommend a product called nurtosol that neutralizes the acids in the roundup (you can skip this for most 24D or Milestone or Clopyd). You can then run either diesel through it or the rv winterizer.

Now that is what the "textbook" approach states. I personally just do the water soap slosh, drian, amonia water mix, let it set over night, rince it one more time with water, and then drain the hoses etc with air (or if I am going to use it in a month or so when it won't freeze don't drain). I then run a little diesel in the pump (just turn it by hand, dump some in the inlet).

This should work...

/ Cleaning roller pump #7  
I have a 4 roller pump. After cleaning pump I alway add a couple cups of propylene glycol based antifreeze to keep pump from freezing up with rust. This antifreeze is not sweet like ethylene glycol based antifreeze. It will still kill any lawn it is spilled on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cleaning roller pump #8  
I have a 4 roller pump. After cleaning pump I alway add a couple cups of propylene glycol based antifreeze to keep pump from freezing up with rust. This antifreeze is not sweet like ethylene glycol based antifreeze. It will still kill any lawn it is spilled on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cleaning roller pump #9  
Ron I assume here that when you go to use the pump the next time that you pour out the antifreeze and reuse it when you again clean the roller pump.

Or do you just pitch the used anti-freeze once drained?

/ Cleaning roller pump #10  
Ron I assume here that when you go to use the pump the next time that you pour out the antifreeze and reuse it when you again clean the roller pump.

Or do you just pitch the used anti-freeze once drained?