Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #1  

TTBHG

Tractor
None, yet. That’s why I’m here.
My wife and I just bought right at 300 acres in West Tennessee. Half is cleared with row crops planted and the other half is wooded areas.

I’d like to clear the remaining 150 acres of woods, including stumps and roots to eventually plant on it. What is the best way to go about this? I’ve runs tons of tractors and equipment before but I’ve never cleared woods/timber.

Thank you for taking the time to read and offer advice.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #2  
My wife and I just bought right at 300 acres in West Tennessee. Half is cleared with row crops planted and the other half is wooded areas.

I’d like to clear the remaining 150 acres of woods, including stumps and roots to eventually plant on it. What is the best way to go about this? I’ve runs tons of tractors and equipment before but I’ve never cleared woods/timber.

Track hoe to pull trees/stumps; shake dirt out, and burn. If there are several really large stumps; plow around them. If it's undergrowth mostly (say less then 5"), Heavy foresty chopper drum, and Rome plow on a dozer. Mulching is going to get thrown out here; but that "clears the air, not the ground" as I heard someone say once. Loader with a root rake helps clear roots, but really isn't the best for pulling stumps. Don't cut the stumps low; it's easier to work them out if they are around 8-12 ft tall; and let's you "lever" the root ball loose with a hoe.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #3  
Excavator and a dozer with a rake.. and maybe a skidsteer to help move and stack. Should be able to just push over most trees with the excavator, no need to cut.

Attachments

• jRHOKt3.jpg
    jRHOKt3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 363
  • ChoAwcS.jpg
    ChoAwcS.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 353
   / Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #7  
That’s a lot of acreage, a lumber company might bring in a buncher and clear it for free. I think it’s called a fell buncher-the excavator with the circular saw on the arm. That would leave stumps though.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #9  

Sorry if this sounds rude, but are you serious? You want to destroy 150 acres of natural wooded area? If you need 300 acres of row crops, why didn't you just buy 300 acres of existing farmland? 150 acres is already a huge farm to manage. I don't get to decide whether this is the right and moral thing for you to do, but you asked for opinions, so mine is: please don't do it.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #10  
I had the same questions and assumed he got a heck of a deal on the property because it doesn't seem cost effective to clear that much land unless you're growing houses or Walmarts.