Clearing a Pond

/ Clearing a Pond #11  
I wouldn't try it with the tractor as long as the water's still there. Other than the reasons already mentioned, (tractor damage, getting stuck etc) trying to move mud with a loader is not too easy. First it sticks to the bucket and doesn't dump easily, second it's a great lubricant and even with 4wd I doubt you'd have much forward traction trying to dig. Your job calls for a backhoe or preferably a tracked excavator AFTER you pump it dry. Shouldn't take too long if so shallow. Also you might want to make it a little deeper. You must have a real algae problem with such a high ratio of surface area to volume.

/ Clearing a Pond #12  
I believe I would drain the pond.There might be some deeper holes you do not know about.Or something in there you could burst a tire on.

/ Clearing a Pond
Thanks everyone for the sound advice. I think I'll skip the tractor in the water part. Not real comfortable with it now that I that I hear so many opinions. Plus no doubt traction would be an issue. I'm real hesitant to rent or hire a machine. I'm just a real do it your selfer. Must be that time I spent digging a footing with my father with shovels! I'll put this at the bottom of my to do list (rotary cut lawn, install fence...). I'll keep everyone posted with my result.

Gerard, excellent point, there is a lot of algae. How deep would you recommend?

Peter

/ Clearing a Pond #14  
Normally algae is a function of how deep the sun can penetrate the water since it's actually a single cell plant. With such a shallow pond the sun goes all the way through and the algae thrives. You want the surface area to be as low as possible in relation to the volume so the answer would be to go as deep as you can dig. (8-10 feet at the middle wouldn't be bad. Also the deeper you go the less problem you have with shallow water plants rooting where you don't want ie cattails etc.) That way you also reduce daily tempeture flucuations also so if you ever decide to stock it with fish it would be more compatible. (I keep Koi so have some experience in this area) Another idea which I've heard but have not tried would be to throw some bales of barley straw in the pond. (Put in a a mesh bag to keep it from dispersing). It apparently exudes a natural algicide. There's a formula for how much to use based on volume but a couple of bales should be ok. Re the do it yourselfer issue: go rent a tracked excavator during the off season for your area and have some fun! Renting equipment doesn't mean your not doing it yourself although sometimes you can hire the operator and equipment for the same price as the equipment alone. (I'm in the same boat as you with a small pond, 30 ft round, that's overgrown and needs to be dug out. It's on my to do list but I'll probably hire it out unless I ever break down and buy a backhoe, then I'll do it myself.) Happy digging!!