3-Point Hitch Clearing rocks and stumps

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #11  
Do the rock removal with the small tractor and bucket.

If the Box Blade has rippers set them down and rip the area twice at right angles. Might find a few more rocks that way and perhaps pull out some stumps.

Then try your plow and see how it goes. It might turn over the three inch or less stumps.:)

You will quickly know if it will work or not.:)

And please let us know how things turn out and what methods you used. Thanks.:)

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #12  
My brother in-law, who seems to have come over to tell me that he forgot to bring my compressor back with him, suggests home-made explosives. Anybody want to buy a brother in-law? He doesn't work very hard, but he has an excellent beard.

I like that box blade idea, Egon. I think I'll put it to use at a friend's next spring.

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #13  
That is what I am going to do with my garden spot if I ever get around to it. Use the scarifiers on the box blade and make several passes to hopefully uproot all the rocks. Put the scarifiers in the ground as deep as I can get them, then use the landscape rake to windrow up the loose rocks. Then maybe I can scoop most of them with the FEL. If needed, B-I-L has his tractor and FEL that I can use as a back stop to hold them or shove them into his bucket. Either way they will be up. Got a good start on a low water crossing on the creek that can take all the rocks we dig up, except maybe a few of the ones in the photo. This is a smaller one that came from a pond dig. SOME really large ones are still in the pasture where the dozer pushed them and are likely to stay since they are twice as large as this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 291
   / Clearing rocks and stumps #14  
there's a thing called a brush grubber, that clamps to small saplings and you pull them out with a chain. It's got teeth and the harder you pull the harder it bites. I've only used mine a few times, but it worked great. brushgrubber.com I have the original (I think it's an extra large size)

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #15  
Hire a local that has a cat w. rippers . It'll take a year with Your Lil machine and kill it !

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #16  
there's a thing called a brush grubber, that clamps to small saplings and you pull them out with a chain. It's got teeth and the harder you pull the harder it bites. I've only used mine a few times, but it worked great. brushgrubber.com I have the original (I think it's an extra large size)

Jake98 - thanks for the information. I'm a brand new tractor owner, but have owned my home with 3 acres for quite a while. About 1/3 of the lot is covered with alders which my wife wants removed. I've been wondering how I could best pull the alders out, after cutting them down. Just went onto the brushgrubber.com site and they offer an "extreme plus" model that looks rugged enough to get the alders out. Besides the alders, we've cut down quite a few silver maples, which grow like weeds, and I think the brushgrubber will be the answer to removing those roots as well (in order to prevent regrowth). I'll give it a shot this summer/fall once I'm back to the house (deploying oversees this winter) for a two week break. Garret Hubbard, Knox Maine (currently at Camp Lejeune).

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #17  
Oh yah. Forgot.. I own a Boomer 35 with FEL. Dealer will drop off the boxblade and bush hog later this month, though the bush hog won't see any use until late in April or early May. Just got the tractor and I put about 10 hours on it moving snow during/after the blizzard last week (was home over Christmas break).

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #18  
I just got the brush grubber model that clamps onto the loader bucket of my tractor. You can release and cock the jaws with a rope so that you don't have to get out of your seat to operate it. It works well on smaller stuff up to about 3 inches. For bigger stems I use my backhoe and thumb. When you cut down the larger trees, be sure to leave a tall stump so that you can leverage the roots out of the ground. Have fun!

/ Clearing rocks and stumps #19  
Jake98 - thanks for the information. I'm a brand new tractor owner, but have owned my home with 3 acres for quite a while. About 1/3 of the lot is covered with alders which my wife wants removed. I've been wondering how I could best pull the alders out, after cutting them down. Just went onto the brushgrubber.com site and they offer an "extreme plus" model that looks rugged enough to get the alders out. Besides the alders, we've cut down quite a few silver maples, which grow like weeds, and I think the brushgrubber will be the answer to removing those roots as well (in order to prevent regrowth). I'll give it a shot this summer/fall once I'm back to the house (deploying oversees this winter) for a two week break. Garret Hubbard, Knox Maine (currently at Camp Lejeune).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no need to monkey around with an aggravating brush grubber when a chain can be attached with the correct knot in less than 5 seconds. It will pull saplings from about an inch in diameter to however big your tractor is. This walnut stump was 6 inch diameter with a 7 ft. root system. It took all 70 horses of a 4x4 NH with loaded rears and wheel weights but the 1/4" grade 70 chain does the job.

If you need more information about how to pull several trees in one pull just ask. Since retirement all my advice and tricks I've learned over the years are free.:D

Attachments

• wood stump pulled 3-6-10.JPG
    wood stump pulled 3-6-10.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 457
   / Clearing rocks and stumps #20  
Sandbur Ranch - you sound a lot like my old man - he does a lot with a chain and his 2 wheel drive Ford Tractor. Anyway - how do you connect the chain to the tractor - across a drawbar? I'm pretty concerned about not damaging the tractor as its really a small compact. Also, do you work on loosening the roots prior to trying to pull the stump out? I'm not sure how big the root systems are going to be for the alders, but I'm assuming not as big as the silver maples. Thanks.