Clicking Wheel Motor (NOT emergency brake)

/ Clicking Wheel Motor (NOT emergency brake) #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
So I finally got around to installing my four new larger capacity wheel motors on the 425 (it's a long story I'll detail later with pictures). However, the right front motor has a "clicking" sound at a certain point in its rotation. This sound is three very rapid clicks. The other motors may also make a similar sound but, if so, it's much less. Three people listened to all four motors and 2 heard a faint but similar sound and one person heard nothing on the other motors.

My 1845 wheel motors have always made a similar, but lower frequency, noise. Almost like a rattling sound. However, their sound is fairly consistent throughout the wheel's entire rotation...unlike the 425 that clicks only at a certain point in the rotation.

BTW...the emergency brakes are fully removed on the 425 awaiting a redesign.

Any thoughts?

/ Clicking Wheel Motor (NOT emergency brake) #2  
I had a clicking sound in my right front. Man, looked forever, was sure it was a bad wheel motor. It was a valve stem protector I had welded on that was striking the motor mount.

/ Clicking Wheel Motor (NOT emergency brake) #3  
Put the unit up on blocks so all 4 wheels are off the ground and see if you hear it. Might make it easier. You could also put it in bypass and try rotating the wheels by hand and see if you hear it with the engine turned off, too.