clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #1  

ihookem

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota 7510 hst
I filled up on Friday morning at a good truck stop, it was 11 degrees.Drove 430 miles and filled up at the same station Sunday night. It got down to 2 degrees Saturday. On Monday on my way to work it looses power and won't go faster than 20 mph. So I put on a new filter and away I go, till the next day it happens again so another filter, away I go for another day and 100 mi. later I put another filter on and after 30 mi. so far so good. Has anyone had this problem? Is it water or jelling? Also, if it's jelling the filter can I soak the filter in kerosene and use the filter again? thanks in advance to any weird experiences might answer some questions.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #2  
Sounds like you are experiencing gelled fuel. You need to use a fuel anti gell additive. Yes, you can reuse the other troubled fuel filters. You won't need to soak them in Kero, but if that gives you extra confidence...........why not. Once the filters are warmed up the wax will go back into solution. You might want to dump the trouble filters in to a container and check the fuel for water, just as a precaution. I doubt you will find much, but you never know.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #3  
Im not sure whether it could be jelling or water freezing and blocking the lines.... Do the old filters look like they have ice on them or does the fuel looking different in the filter holder?

Are you using any sort of conditioner (power service etc)?? Although controversial, I run PS or something similar every time i fill up, and we dont get nearly as cold as WI gets..

Have you drained the water separator lately?

I dont think I would try to reuse the filters, not worth the possibility of the water freezing and tearing the material..

Maybe run a bottle of 911 by Power Service to make sure everything is completely thawed out?? it is suppose to thaw anything frozen

good luck - Let us know how it turns out.

Brian

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #4  
Sounds like classic gel. Add a 2x or 3x dose of Howes Diesel Treat and warm the truck up to 60-70F for 24 hours. That will ungel it and then keep it from gelling again. You need to keep adding the Howes at normal rates every fill up. You probably need to switch stations too.

jb

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax.
That guy I used Power service white jug and a double dose. John bud I can't get it to 70 and I will put Howse in if I can find it. About switching staions, I filled up there many times and never had a problem with any fuel ever. I called them everytime I needed a new filter and the manager has not called back. I am going to go there and show them the filters and receipts of the filters and the two receipts from therir gas station. I don't know what they will do but a company like BP should care enough to at least give me my money back on the tank. If they don't I guess they are politely calling me a liar. We will see if they ever want my buisness again.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #6  
I filled up on Friday morning at a good truck stop, it was 11 degrees.Drove 430 miles and filled up at the same station Sunday night. It got down to 2 degrees Saturday. On Monday on my way to work it looses power and won't go faster than 20 mph. So I put on a new filter and away I go, till the next day it happens again so another filter, away I go for another day and 100 mi. later I put another filter on and after 30 mi. so far so good. Has anyone had this problem? Is it water or jelling? Also, if it's jelling the filter can I soak the filter in kerosene and use the filter again? thanks in advance to any weird experiences might answer some questions.

I had the same experience, but in a boat, and in a lot warmer weather, too. I took on about 100 gallons of diesel full of "algae" from a top rated marina that pumped a lot of fuel. I suspect they got a bad batch from their supplier. I think it took about six filter changes to clean it all out -- after I put some biocide in the tanks.

Definitely get some biocide into your tank.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #7  
The original post suggests that it isn't gelling or icing, since it started happening at a time when the fuel in the tank and lines would have been plenty warmed from excess returned fuel - which is HOT and there is a lot of it.
Fuel circulates many times in 100 miles, water gets separated out as it circulates.

The original poster displayed no knowledge of the water drain, I assume that means there was no attempt to drain water from the water separator.

OTOH there was no mention that the light had come on or that there had been a P1093 (IIRC) code for any of the filter swaps.

So, drain the water separator & check for codes before jumping to conclusions about waxing or icing, or even before swapping filters on speculation that they MIGHT be plugged.

EDIT:
PS If you suspect a part blocked filter but have no CEL try really stomping on it on a steep hill (not when cold).
This will usually demand more fuel than a part blocked filter can allow through, the CEL will light and the code
will be set and stored - as I said, I think it is P1093, BICBW.
:END EDIT

Reg, I unscrewed the bottom of the filter and pushed on the little pump on top. About a half cup of fuel came out. (Is that enough?) I never thought of a code popping up, I never even had a code pop up on this truck in the 77k mi. I've owned it. I really gave it the gas on a flat road and a bunch of black smoke came out. I will drive ten miles or so and and will find a hill and floor it but it has a new filter on it now. I don't know what else it would be except water,ice , jell or dirt. I assume it was cause it got down to 2 degrees two nights before I had this problem so I don't know. I will unplug the bottom every day for 500 mi. or so. I didn't notice any water in the cup that the fuel was drained into. I am heating up one of the filters in the basement with a 40 watt bulb and hope it will melt the jelling if there is any and the water should be gone too. Thanks everyone ,this means a lot to me that you all share experiences you've had. It beats the heck out of a dealer taking two days and who know how much money. This tractor forum has saved me a lot of money doing things myself.

/ clogged fuel filters in 05 Duramax. #9  
I don't know what else it would be except water,ice , jell or dirt.

Sludge formed by organisms that will grow at the interface of the water and fuel in water contaminated diesel tanks, at anyplace in the supply chain. It is commonly, but incorrectly referred to as algae.

Search Google on diesel and algae. Ignore the results concerned with the production of bio-diesel from algae.

Update: I took the first bad fuel filter and put a light bulb next to it overnight to heat it up. Then I put it back on the truck and 70 miles later it is still ok. Must have been ice or jelling. If it was dirt or algae it would still be clogged. I think I could have put a lightbulb next to it overnght without taking it off the truck had I known Just a thought if you ever suspect a jelled up filter. I hope this is the end since I put 10 more gallons in.