Close call with sink hole

/ Close call with sink hole #51  
Hi Jeff,
My name is Wendy and I am a Photoshop student in Boulder, CO. I have been looking all over the net for a copyright free image of a sinkhole that I can use for a special effect on a class project. Your dirt sinkhole looks like it could work. Could I possibly use it for my project? The only place it might eventually be posted my be my online portfolio (when I get that up.) The sinkhole wold be part of a composite image on a fake newspaper cover.

I can download the image from you post. Please let me know ASAP as I am on deadline for a midterm project. :)

Sincerely,
Wendy

I was moving some clay today from an old pile to a pond that I was working on. At the end of the day, I noticed a hole where I was driving all day. I got out and looked at it, it was about 2'or 3' at the top and about 12' diameter inside. The is a pile of dirt in the middle thats about 4' below ground level and it tapers to about 10' or more below ground level. Plus, there are cave like holes on 2 sides of the hole. I can't tell how far they go, I was too scared to get too far into the hole to look.

Anyone know who I can call about this? I think that this is an old mine area. Is there a government agency that I can call to figure out what to do? For now, I am going to block off a large area around the sinkhole.

Here are a couple of pictures, they would be better, but as I said, I was really nervous around the hole.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Close call with sink hole #53  
Hi Jeff,
My name is Wendy and I am a Photoshop student in Boulder, CO. I have been looking all over the net for a copyright free image of a sinkhole that I can use for a special effect on a class project. Your dirt sinkhole looks like it could work. Could I possibly use it for my project? The only place it might eventually be posted my be my online portfolio (when I get that up.) The sinkhole wold be part of a composite image on a fake newspaper cover.

I can download the image from you post. Please let me know ASAP as I am on deadline for a midterm project. :)

Sincerely,
Wendy

Hi Wendy, I doubt if Jeff244 will answer you, because he hasn't posted in the forum for 2 years. It is possible, but I would not be surprised if he does not.

James K0UA

/ Close call with sink hole #55  
Hi Jeff,

Sincerely,
Wendy
since when do you need permission using photos from a web forum? Its out there for public access. Am i missing something?

/ Close call with sink hole #56  
since when do you need permission using photos from a web forum? Its out there for public access. Am i missing something?

Technically, the photographer still owns the copyright, no matter where he or she posts it. Just like, if I put a painting in a museum, it's still my painting even though it's out there for everyone to see. That being said, Wendy's use of the photograph would almost certainly fall under fair use (education), so she doesn't technically have to ask, although some go through the courtesy anyway.

/ Close call with sink hole #57  
For example, here is a photograph that I took. I own the copyright on it. I'm posting it here for you to see. But if you print it out, frame it, and try to sell it, I will still have the right to prevent you from doing that.

Bulldozerclaw.jpg

/ Close call with sink hole #58  
For example, here is a photograph that I took. I own the copyright on it. I'm posting it here for you to see. But if you print it out, frame it, and try to sell it, I will still have the right to prevent you from doing that.

View attachment 308057
ok. thanks josh

/ Close call with sink hole #59  
Maybe Jeff244 found another sinkhole on the property... in a bad way...