Close call with sink hole

/ Close call with sink hole #41  
It's amazing how many caves/openings/old mines there are across the land. On some projects the engineering company I used to work for did, and in the observations of steel piling being driven, many H piles often "free fell" many feet all on their own. This was in the limestone of the Ozarks north of the White River.

Instances of these underground openings of unknown origin are encountered pretty often by excavators, pile drivers & etc.

/ Close call with sink hole #42  
I know this post is a little old but I just had the same type of hole open up on my property. I found it the hard way though! I was walking along when I dropped through it going up to my waist before catching myself. ODNR is coming out today to look at mine as it is about 10-15' away from my garage.

I was curious what the outcome with your situation was.

As soon as I get time, I'll start a post with some pics......scary!

/ Close call with sink hole #43  
Glad you were not hurt, I'd stay away from those holes.

I've seen stories of people getting killed that way.

Joel

/ Close call with sink hole #44  
I know this post is a little old but I just had the same type of hole open up on my property. I found it the hard way though! I was walking along when I dropped through it going up to my waist before catching myself. ODNR is coming out today to look at mine as it is about 10-15' away from my garage.

I was curious what the outcome with your situation was.

As soon as I get time, I'll start a post with some pics......scary!
How long have you lived at the property???
I've lived on my 2.33 acres here in SE Ohio since 1966
I would be shocked to come upon something like this after being here so long.
This is in Washington Co.
What County are you in.

/ Close call with sink hole #45  
I know this post is a little old but I just had the same type of hole open up on my property. I found it the hard way though!
I was walking along when I dropped through it going up to my waist before catching myself.
ODNR is coming out today to look at mine as it is about 10-15' away from my garage.
As soon as I get time, I'll start a post with some pics......
*scary!
What would have happened had you not caught your self?
How many times have you walked over the same spot before for how long a time?
*Now that's scarry!

/ Close call with sink hole #46  
How long have you lived at the property???
I've lived on my 2.33 acres here in SE Ohio since 1966
I would be shocked to come upon something like this after being here so long.
This is in Washington Co.
What County are you in.

I have spent my life here (on this property)...33 years. I'm in Muskingum Co.

/ Close call with sink hole #47  
I have spent my life here (on this property)...33 years. I'm in Muskingum Co.
I was through Muskingum Co twice today going to Columbus and back.
Don't it feel odd to have lived on the place for 33 years never knowing there was such a thing on it?
I know it would give me a funny feeling!

/ Close call with sink hole #48  
Hi Jeff:

Whats about your sink hole now, a few years later ?

I know a lot of similar things. And I am really interested in getting better pictures, not the small thumbnails from the first post.

Thx. :)

Frank

/ Close call with sink hole #49  
   / Close call with sink hole #50  
I'm curious, too. I was a grad student at OSU in Columbus when this one opened up downtown:
In pictures: sinkholes, craters and collapsed roads around the world - Telegraph

Our substrate here is pretty much 100% sandstone, so no mining and not much chance of underground erosion or mineral leaching, either...of course, sea level rise might just wash the whole place away eventually...

BOB
Maybe in 10 or 20 billion years.............I wouldn't count on it any sooner than that!