Closure on first (and second) rifle purchase

/ Closure on first (and second) rifle purchase #1  

westcliffe01

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4500DT, B200 backhoe
As I had mentioned previously, I purchased a Savage 24 double rifle as my future "Coyote gun" with an upper barrel chambered in 222 and the lower in 20ga. This was back in late January and I was assuming that I would be in possession by sometime in February. Boy was I wrong....

Initially the FBI "cancelled", not denied the transfer and I then had to file an appeal. I was dreading the appeal, since the average processing time was 150 days. However, the folks in WV stepped up and I had a letter back by 4/14 saying that my record was clear and I was issued a personal identification number to use on future 4473 forms which clearly differentiates me from others with a similar name who may have a record.

It then took another frustrating week for my FFL to muster up his courage and deal with the FBI to get a "proceed" response after an initial 6 hour delay. From what I have heard, green card holders always have to be checked with immigrations, so I will never expect an immediate clearance. My FFL said that several agents hung up on him when he got to the part where he was disclosing my nationality and he said "South African". He said that to complete the transaction, he had to work through customer service, who was the most civil person he had spoken to....

Anyway, 3 months to the day that I made the purchase on Gunbroker, I finally walked out the door with my Coyote gun ! I am now officially the first member of my generation to own a long gun, and will in fall be the first of my generation to hunt again.

By the way, the second rifle, which I picked up at the same time, is a DPMS 7.62x39 carbine (16" barrel) and I will be buying a crate of Yugo brass cased ammo for something like 20c per round. I hope to use this rifle for hunting whitetail in the northern part of the MI lower peninsula and also as a general purpose defensive weapon.

Best regards all..