Clutch Break-In

/ Clutch Break-In #1  

JohnT

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC45D
While using my Woods 72" box scraper/scarifier on my TC45D HST, I would on occasion get a whiff of what smelled like clutch material. This only happened when box and scarifiers were biting deep, box pretty well loaded with material, and tractor being slowed (engine not lugging) by the load. Mentioned it to the dealer and he felt clutches are breaking in. Note - Tractor had less than 50 hours on it and this was the first heavy load I've put on it - other than FEL work. Other than a bad ram on the FEL (fix promplty by my dealer at my location) everything been great. This is a well engineered machine! I'm even gettin to like the Ant Eater look..... the FEL helped!

/ Clutch Break-In #2  
John,

Being that it the first heavy load put on the tractor, it may just be getting stuff hot enough to emit an odor. Like the exhaust manifold and exhaust, radiator, hydro fluid etc. On my NH2120 had this happen when driving on the road wide open and going up a steep hill. The engine dropped about 700rpm (still being at wide open throttle). The hill was about 1/2 mile long. The temp guage did move up much from where it normally runs but there was very distinct odor. I actually stopped and looked under and around the tractor for leaks and/or smoke. Found nothing and just hoped back on and took off. I have worked the engine really had since then and no more odors.

If you are really working the tractor you may (unless you have done it already) put the range selector in low. That way there is less stress and heat build up in the hydo unit and its fluid.

Derek

/ Clutch Break-In
Derek,

Thanks for the input. I am familar with what your talking about. However, I am sure what I was smelling was clutch material. Gotta believe that HST power trains have clutch plates in them. Besides, my NH dealer even refer to them as burning in during break-in. He was more concerned that it wasn't a continuous smell. For the record, I was running in the lowest range at about 21-2200 RPM. These last 5 hours, or so, I have been running betwwen 17-2000 RPM and not smelled a thing. I was most curious to see if anyone had experienced a clutch plate burn-in period. I'm approaching 60 hours and continue to be impressed by this machine. It's soooooo nice to have your investments perform as advertised. I hope my next 600 hour are even better.

/ Clutch Break-In #4  
There is no conventional dry-disc clutch in your TC45. There are 2 multiple disc wet clutches for the 'rabbit/turtle' 2 speed. There should be NO burning, break-in, or slippage of these clutchpacks whatsoever. Get some hydraulic oil out of the tractor, and look for discoloration and a cooked smell. My bet is you are cooking some paint, etc off the exhaust system. Operate your tractor in the upper end of its RPM band, and select a range that allows most of the operation with the hydro pedal at least 1/2 way depressed. This will maximize oil flow within the hydro unit and minimize oil temperature.