Clutch help

/ Clutch help #1  

RandyS

Tractor
Jinma 204, Mahindra 2816, Prowler mini skidsteer
We have a Jinma 204 that needs a new clutch. How hard of a job is it? Any other info about doing it right would be appreciated.
Thank you.

/ Clutch help #2  
It involves breaking the tractor in half at the bellhousing, not a small job by any means. Not that I'm casting doubt on your diagnosis, but it's real important to make sure that's actually the problem before undertaking such a job. Some clutch issues can be adjusted out externally

//greg//

/ Clutch help
We've done the adjustment thing and the mechanic tells me that this time there is no more adjustment left.
One guy told us since we used our Wallenstein 6" chipper so much that that was probably what caused it to go.

/ Clutch help #4  
I had to split my B7100 last year and take the clutch out. If you have ever changed and engine or transmission in a car then you can do this.
I recommend that you have a service manual and a torque wrench if you want to do it right. Jack stands and a hoist will be required for safety sake. Once you split the tractor, you have to move the halves apart to get at the clutch.

/ Clutch help #6  
Buy or borrow a clutch alighning tool . It will make it all that much easier . Also check the input shaft bearing/bush and the throwout bearing while it is apart . Have a look for oil leaks from the rear crank seal and the front of the gearbox , also check the condition of the starter ring gear while your at it .

/ Clutch help #7  
RandyS:

I just got done breaking my tractor in half, again. I did the clutch last year and this year I had to get behind the bell housing to get at the rear main seal. See the "Y385T Short Block?" thread I statrted.

It's really not that hard to break it in half.

I am bad at wiring so I take masking tape and number all the wires and what they connect to. Disconnect the hydraulics like the power steering and such. If you have four wheel drive you have to take out the drive shaft to the front wheels. For that matter, disconnect everything that is connected across where the two halves of the tractor are bolted together.

I bought an atv jack with steel wheels for about $60 for the back half of the tractor. I put a couple of 4x4's across the cradle because part of the jack was hitting before the jack statrted lifting Put the jack as close to where the tractor bolts together as you can.

I use a floor jack on the front half (about $20) and wedged in a couple of jack stands with wood and get it as close to level as I can. Make sure you put wedges in between the engine and the front axle. The engine pivots on the front axle, the engine will tip one way or the other if you don't. Block the front wheels so the front end it won't roll.

I roll the back half away and leave the front half where it is. I found that with the atv jack the back half is pretty stable. If you are doing this outside put plywood down so the jack will roll. (I learned my lesson the hard way).

The back wheels give a lot of leverage. It is easier if you have a person on each wheel. I used my 17 year old daughter to help.

When putting it back together get a clutch aligning tool, like Iron Horse said, so the clutch plate(s) line up and roll the back half to the front. When I am close I take a couple of nylon ratchet straps that are used for holding down cargo. I put one on each side, from the front of the tractor to the rear and tighten them a bit until the PTO spline hits the PTO clutch plate. Then turn the PTO shaft at the rear of the tractor a bit until it engages the the PTO clutch plate. You can then ratchet a bit on each side until the splines from the transmission engage the main drive clutch plate. Make sure the fuel shut off is pulled, and turn the flywheel until the splines engage the main clutch disk. Then keep ratcheting until you can start the bellhousing bolts.

I find that the ratchet straps allow me to make fine adjustments instead of pushing on the rear wheels. If you aren't aligned left to right you can use the floor jack to move the front a bit if you have to.

Oh, pull off flywheel and the bellhousing and replace the bolts and use loctite and torque them so you don't have the problem I did.

Hope this helps, Ed.

/ Clutch help
Helped alot Ed, thank you.

/ Clutch help #9  
It is important to "De Glaze" the flywheel and also the pressure plate if it is to be re used . Clean them both with Prepsol or thinners or simillar . Then give both a good going over with 36 grit sand paper . Make sure you get all the shine off and have scuffed them up well . This will prevent clutch shudder and bring the assembly back to as close to new as possible .

/ Clutch help #10  
Great thread All,
This will help me alot in the future
Rick