clutch on GST

/ clutch on GST #1  

bobfl

Tractor
looking
Hello all,
I spent a lot of time here prior to purchasing my L3130 GST.I thank you all for your help.

Now I have a problem .My tractor is 5 years old with almost 600 hrs.I have only used it only to bushhog my 10 acres & move some dirt around.I took it in for 50 100 & 300 hr maint but then had it done here due to the HIGH cost at the dealer.

Now to the problem.The clutch is gone.I am told by my mechanic(NOT the dealer) that the clutch peddle was adjusted wrong & that it was riding on the throwout bearing.I have not adjusted it & seldom even used the clutch except to go into reverse.I went to my dealer & explained the problem.The service guy was sympathetic & said he would speak to his boss.I was not demanding anything,but I feel that if they adjusted it wrong they should help.
Bottom line,they will give me a 10% discount on the parts.
My question:Was the adjustment their fault?Should they help or should I just pound sand?

Thanks for your input in advance,
Bob in Fl

Last edited:
   / clutch on GST
over 1500 by a friend.Who knows at the dealer.
Bob

/ clutch on GST #4  
Bob...
Bummerrrr
Clutch out could also mean flywheel and pressure plate damage... plus throwout bearing. While you/they are in there do not forget to replace the pilot bearing... It should not have much wear but replace it as you are right there and it is going to be the cheapest part in the system.
The clutch (dry clutch) is the highest wear part in the drive train even when properly adjusted. But if it is adjusted wrong it will have a short life.
I NEVER use the foot clutch on my GST. The shuttle works very well at forward and reverse, you can very quickly get the direction change down with no shock to the system... throttle down and shuttle shift.
If you are running at PTO speed and can not throttle down , down shift with the GST and then shuttle shift. The clutch pack on the shuttle/GST is in oil and will not heat up like the dry clutch pressure plate/flywheel...
None of this addresses your question but I think you will be hard pressed to get anyone at the dealership to step up and assume responsibility for a maladjustment. Their fall back position could easily be you should have been able to feel the clutch free travel going well before the clutch failed.
10% off parts is not that great... I would shop around for the parts there are some great parts (Kubota) available from some on this forum... Since you will be picking up the labor at least try to find a deal on the parts. You can call Messick's @ 1-877-260-3528 KennyV

/ clutch on GST #5  
if this tractor was new when you bought it and they are the only one working on it you got to go to that dealer and ask them for the phone number for there rep. and the adress for kubota tractor in calaforia that may bethey would like to know what is going on with it ,and if they don't step to the plate write a letter and put all details in it and send it to cal. they will be in touch with you

/ clutch on GST #6  
5 year old tractor and your asking Kubota to help out? 600 hours isn't much but I think it is not Kubota's problem. 10% off on parts from the dealer is just being nice and sympathetic. Take it and be happy. Is clutch adjustment even part of routine maintenance?

/ clutch on GST #7  
Bob,

Free travel / pedal is a clutch adjustment that needs to be maintained as the clutch wears. Otherwise the throwout will run against the fingers and you know the rest. This is owner responsibility and should be checked periodically and adjusted as needed.

Granted most people do not clutch a GST but even so it has a dry clutch just like a Grand L30 DT models (hydros do too, for that matter) so check it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is what it is.....

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

YC :)

/ clutch on GST
I wasn't looking for them to pick up the whole tab,only help out as it seems that they have some responsibility for the maladjustment.
I guess you live & learn.

/ clutch on GST #9  
High cost at dealer??? Had it done here???

Are you saying that someone other than the dealer did the clutch adjustment?, you?, and 50, 100, 300 hour service. If you are implying that you did it yourself, then you are completely out of luck. If the dealer offered 10% off parts, and they never did any service work, then you are lucky they are such a great dealer.

I have also heard that these glide shifts are more complicated that working on a hydro. Don't know if it's true or not.

Man, 600 hours on a Kubota, and the clutch is shot. WOW!:mad:

If the dealer did the service at your place, and the 50, 100, 300 hour services, then they should be responsible for at least half. If this is true, you may have to contact the BBB, and state your case.

Have you ever owned a tractor before, or driven a manual transmission with a clutch?

/ clutch on GST
I did not do any clutch adjustment.The dealer is the only one.

Yes I have driven a manual trans.I hardly used the one on my Kubota as I had GST.