clutch slipping

/ clutch slipping #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have 120 hrs on my tractor. The clutch started slipping in the higher gears about two weeks ago.. I first noticed it when I was traveling fast on the road because it would not go as fast as before and if I increased rpms, the speed stayed the same. I have a dual stage clutch and I adjusted it a bit and it worked fine until today it started doing the same thing again except this time I noticed the slippage when I was running the box blade down 1 mile of dirt road. It got to where the tractor actually stopped but the engine was revving high. If I down shifted to a lower gear it would slowy begin to move again. I again adjusted the clutch and now I have all the power back, but it is adjusted so far that the clutch does not disengage the pto when it is on. Basically If I adjust it to where the pto can disengage, the main clutch slips, and if I adjust it to where the main clutch locks up, I can not disengage the pto (Other than with the lever, and it grinds).

I have never smelled buring clutch or rode it and I am the only one who has driven this tractor. I have driven standards all my life including other tractors and have never worn out a clutch, but to me it seems as if this one is gone at 120 hrs. Any ideas on what else it might be or other tests or adjustments I could make? I have a lot of work to do the next few days and don't want to take it to the dealer unless I have to.

/ clutch slipping #2  
Not sure about your tractor, but many pressure plates have adjustable fingers. If there's a dust cover, shine a light and check it out. If the tractor needs a clutch adjust every 120hrs, adjust, sell , and don't look back.

/ clutch slipping #3  
Just off the top of my head, I remember a MF 150 we had that did pretty much the same thing. It had a rear seal on the engine that leaked a little. The drip hole in the bottom of the clutch area had gotten plugged with dirt and what ever. Oil had gotten on the clutch. Not much but it doesn't take much to make it slip. You may have another problem but that just crossed my mind when I read your post. The oil could come from the transmission also. Just something you can check on.

If it's wet with oil it can be cleaned. Mine didn't smoke or smell either. It just started slipping. So check the drip hole/ holes to see if they're clogged if you haven't.

/ clutch slipping #5  
bdog,
120 hours?? Could this be covered under warranty?
The MFG may have gotten a bad batch of clutches. I'd let the dealer know immediately.
(don't admit to adjusting the clutch, or they may have a way out)
Remember, clutch is Latin for "leave it alone". (and of course, carburetor is also another way to say that) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ clutch slipping
Yes 120 hrs. I talked to the dealer today, and he is having the parts overnighted in, and said to bring the tractor in. If I need a loaner while it is in the shop he said just let him know. First thing he asked when I told him it was slipping was if I adjusted it. He said it needs to be adjusted at every oil change or at least the adjustment checked. Anyway he said no problems and that it would be covered.