clutch... throwout bearing.... trans??

/ clutch... throwout bearing.... trans?? #1  

Eciton

so i have an old geared kubota 7100 and when running it around the yard this is what i have to do to avoid a horrendous grinding noise accompanied by a thumping/surging/off balance feeling

1.) come to complete stop with break only w/out pushing in clutch
2.) throttle down to idle
3.) push clutch in
4.) shift

now my buddy seems to think that this is not how it should act and I should be able to push the clutch in at any time when running it around the yard and have the power disengage w.out noise. if i dont follow these steps exactly there is a horrendous grinding noise and power does not completely get taken from the wheels. best i can tell the issue is in the clutch/trans side of the power train. people i have talked to have mentioned clutch, throwout bearing, and trans but i feel trans is fine since when she is running there is no noise... just when trying to shift/dissengage power with clutch

thanks!!!

/ clutch... throwout bearing.... trans?? #2  
Your transmission sounds fine. Your noise is coming from the throwout bearing. Replace it, the clutch, and the pilot bearing while you are @ it.

/ clutch... throwout bearing.... trans?? #3  
If you hear a noise with pedal depressed, goes away with pedal up, and tractor wants to move with pedal down, it could be the throughout bearing, but I'd bet on the pilot bearing. Failure there will cause the shaft to drag along with the flywheel no matter what the clutch does, and make one nasty noise unless the clutch is engaged so shaft and flywheel turn at same speed.

/ clutch... throwout bearing.... trans??
Excellent. Thank you

Now, do they make a haynes/chiltons/whatever manual for the old kubotas? Online tutorial for pilot/throwout/clutch replacement?

Anyone have an idea of approx cost or best place to order parts from?

/ clutch... throwout bearing.... trans?? #5  
Try searching I&T or implement and tractor for a service manual. I&T is the brand name of several of my service manuals. I got my last one from abiline machine online. Dunno about what its gonna cost you to fix it.