Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
On the cheap or atleast under $150. What is recommended? I already have a pressure regulator.
Thank you in advance.

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #2  
I was going to try the copper tubing roll method years ago,looked into it and priced out parts. Seamed like a lot of work.

the smaller coalescing dryers I’ve seen are for cars and trucks. Didn’t know they had these for shop compressors.

I was going to try this about 10 years ago, but instead I went with a harbor freight dryer. I paid $399 for it back then, now there $599. But in 10 years of use, I still have not had to replace the paper filter after the dryer. It is absolutely dry. When I drain the dryer, I get a geyser of water.

main reason I didnt try the copper pipe system was too much work to cool the lines.i wanted to make my life easier.

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter
I think you are describing building a refrigeration type unit. Those are crazy expensive. I'm going to be doing some hobby type cutting in a mostly dry SW climate. So I don't think I need to spend more on the dryer than $300 I spent on the machine?

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #4  
Why do you need more than a standard air compressor water separator? My little plasma cutter came with a combination regulator separator. I have another that is on my air compressor. They are rather inexpensive depending on what you think you need. Just go to Amazon and search for air compressor water separator.

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #5  
Others may have better suggestions, but this is what I have. Amazon.com

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #7  
i have that same motor guard on my system downline from the dryer. my problem was i have a expensive 4x8 plasma table. i was replacing the cartridge weekly. got expensive. any moisture destroys cutting tips. After i installed the dryer, i have never had to replace a cartridge.

my table is about 8-10 years old, but cost me over $20K. i didnt mind spending some cash on a dryer.

if i had just a portable plasma cutter, i would just use the cartridge system listed above this post.

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #8  
I've used the Ingersoll Rand coelscing filter for about 30 years with my plasma cutter. They're available through Amazon for about $200. For manual plasma cutting it works fine as you're only using relatively short bursts of air. However, if you wanted to use it with a plasma table, the coelscing element would become saturated from the continuous air flow and would still pass some water with the air. I have noticed this with blast cabinet use. It still removes about 60% to 70% of the water, but the air is not totally dry.

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #9  
mine also feeds my blast cabinet. a little moisture there makes a mess of the media

/ Coalescing dryer for plasma cutter #10  
If you don't already have the plasma cutter, I'd suggest a Hypertherm Powermax 30AIR. It's plug and play 120/240V and has its own compressor and separator. I don't have shop air, just a small DeWalt compressor.