Oil & Fuel Cold rookie mistake

/ Cold rookie mistake #1  

Gitche Gumee Kid

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 284
My track steer ( ASV RT-50 ) still has summer diesel and would not run more than 5 secons after starting. Been -14 F for several days.
What's my remedy?
Many thanks,
GGK 87 yo rookie

/ Cold rookie mistake #2  
No block heater? My ASV PT50 (2009) came with one.

Put a bottle of the red 911 fuel additive in.

Are you using the glow plugs to preheat?

/ Cold rookie mistake #3  
   / Cold rookie mistake #4  
Yikes. At that temp with summer fuel the diesel is almost certainly gelled in the tank, lines, and filters. I believe untreated diesel #2 gels at 0 deg f, with the CFPP (Cold filter plugging point) is around +10 deg f.
Personally, I would try tarping the machine with some type of heater underneath, or just leave it for warmer weather.
If you must start it, I guess adding a degelling agent like Power Service 911 would be the way to go. It will likely have to be added to the tank if that fuel is in fact gelled. Replace the filters and fill partially with 911 to move the degelling agent through the lines.
It could be quite a project to get it going in -14 degrees.

/ Cold rookie mistake #5  
911 red can diesel treatment into your existing fuel, take off the existing fuel filter and fill up with fresh fuel with a new fuel filter and screw it on following the priming instructions (likely a bleeder screw on top of the filter housing.

Summer diesel is number 2, and you should cut that mix with 1/3rd diesel number 1 or kerosene for operating below 24°F

For operating in really cold stuff, your ASV dealer should have cold prep kits that warm the fuel lines, heated fuel filter housing, block heater, ether start systems, engine oil and hydraulic oil heaters, and even more. Trust me, the guys building ASVs know what cold is.

Last edited:
   / Cold rookie mistake #8  
911 red can diesel treatment into your existing fuel, take off the existing fuel filter and fill up with fresh fuel with a new fuel filter and screw it on following the priming instructions (likely a bleeder screw on top of the filter housing.

Summer diesel is number 2, and you should cut that mix with 1/3rd diesel number 1 or kerosene for operating below 24°F

For operating in really cold stuff, your ASV dealer should have cold prep kits that warm the fuel lines, heated fuel filter housing, block heater, ether start systems, engine oil and hydraulic oil heaters, and even more. Trust me, the guys building ASVs know what cold is.

^^^ This is basically what I did after forgot the Stanydyne one time but never again.And I was no rookie so don't feel bad. Can happen to anyone.
Cut fuel in tank by about 50% with kerosine and added PowerService 911 for good measure. Could see globs of wax suspended in tank. Changed filter. It was a bowl and cartridge type - solid wax. Tarped machine and heated to free up fuel lines and pump.

PwrServcie911.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Cold rookie mistake #9  
Im so glad every station up where i live use winter grade blended diesel. I use no additives, nor have i ever, since i moved here in 1996. When i lived in montana in the 1980’s, we had to manually mix diesel 1 and 2 together to protect equipment in the winter, as it wasn’t available for the bulk tanks.

/ Cold rookie mistake #10  
Starting Wednesday it should be getting warmer up there. For the normal winter fuel treatments, it should be dosed and mixed above freezing to work. If you can, wait for a warmer day to suck out half the fuel and dump in some #1 fuel. You will probably have to change out the fuel filter and remember the bleeding process.