Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #11  
i know mine isnt your exact model but my 2011 sc2400 has the glowplug and have to turn left for 15 seconds then i can start it ... if i try to start mine in our wisconsin winters without doing so it wont start for me at all

Where did you get the 15 seconds from? Just curious cause I have the same tractor and i thought I read in my manual when it is under 32 degrees out turn the key for 3-5 seconds? Maybe I should try 15 seconds and it will start easier if i forget to turn my heater on ahead of time? I thought maybe I would ruin something if I held it longer.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #12  
Where did you get the 15 seconds from? Just curious cause I have the same tractor and i thought I read in my manual when it is under 32 degrees out turn the key for 3-5 seconds? Maybe I should try 15 seconds and it will start easier if i forget to turn my heater on ahead of time? I thought maybe I would ruin something if I held it longer.

thats because it was late and my brain was on cruise control from readinng someone elses post earlier... no i only warm it 5 seconds (my manual says 4 seconds in temps under 32) i find the 4 seconds doesnt seem to do it in the cold winter but mine is stored outside with a cover if the 5 seconds isnt enough i wait minute then try again and its worked. thanks for the save i need to edit my previous post

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #13  
i know mine isnt your exact model but my 2011 sc2400 has the glowplug and have to turn left for 5 seconds then i can start it ... if i try to start mine in our wisconsin winters without doing so it wont start for me at all

edited :)

Ditto for me as well CovFam. I have a 2010 SC2450 and I have to turn the key to the left for five or so seconds and then to the right. However, I think a dipstick heater would be the way to go as of late.

Normally my tractor resides in the garage, but due to my wife's Christmas crap taking up residency in the garage, the SC2450 sits out side. :mad:

I'm also from Wisconsin...between Appleton and Green Bay in a cow town of Greenleaf.

Jerry

Last edited:
   / Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #14  
Forgot to inquire...if I were to get a dip stick heater, are there varying lengths? I haven't had to buy one since back in the 80s.

Jerry

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #15  
As stated earlier, on the Lx series, turn the key one click to the right 'til the glow plug light goes out, then turn to the right one more click to start.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar
The glow plug works well on the LX I started at 19 degrees yesterday.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #17  
cold starting a Cub/Yanmar EX3200 (copied from owners manual)

Use the glow plug when the air temperature is 23°F (–5°C)
or lower.
1. Move the key switch to the GLOW position (A). Hold
the key switch in the GLOW position for no more than
20 seconds.
2. Move the key switch to the START position and start
the engine.

/ Cold starting a Cub/Yanmar #18  
I have the same tractor...thinking about putting the heater on it that goes into the freeze plug. by chance have you done this and can u tell me more about it??