Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C?

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #131  
-19 F this morning.
I didn't even try.
plugged block heater in and 20 minutes later she fired up easily.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #133  
LOL, I solved that problem,
I leave mine plugged 24/7 so it always fires up.
Hydro is reasonable here and that extra $s is worth my peace of mind, besides if my car won't start I can always boost from my tractor.
But then my car groaned and started and it was -32 C this AM. and that via my remote so it was cozy when I went for the paper.
Drat it the papers weren't delivered either.

Lots of folks woke up to frozen water this morning and some water mains also gave up the ghost.
Contractors will have a good ($'s) time thawing those water mains for the city.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #134  
Hydro is reasonable here and that extra $s is worth my peace of mind, besides if my car won't start I can always boost from my tractor.
But then my car groaned and started and it was -32 C this AM. and that via my remote so it was cozy when I went for the paper.

Lots of folks woke up to frozen water this morning and some water mains also gave up the ghost.
Gonna burn out your heating element and a huge waste of electricity. Only need 20 minutes before starting. Did this @ -22 F in Vermont.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #136  

super small ( as in GC series) cooling systems will open T-Stat after an hour and the factory heater will start boiling fluid.
ask me how I know.....
I got lucky and caught it before bubbled into overflow.
the 1532 I deal with can stay plugged in forever w/o expanding enough to bubble over.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #137  
iirc I spent, with tax, 165$ for my massey gc2400
mine must be coated in gold.... sigh. can't believe what stuff costs.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #138  
Gonna burn out your heating element and a huge waste of electricity. Only need 20 minutes before starting. Did this @ -22 F in Vermont.
I did have to once change an element but it was 25 yrs old. (and was it cold) and that was B4 I started the 24/7 routine.
I think my element is 300 watts so same as a few light bulbs but then I know heavy contractors that always leave units plugged in with much bigger wattage.
I once tried using 2 magnetic heaters but soon learned they were not all they were hyped to be.

Changing in the cold had me using a construction heater (to warm me) and many DIY tricks to get that GD old unit out. Dang thing was behind the oil filter and reluctant to leave.
Not fun, draining coolant and oil at -25 is almost enough to want U to 'light it up' and collect on insurance., especially when you hit 80.

LOL, think next winter I'll get a contractor to handle my snow, problem is it'll be close to $1K/yr and did I say I was frugal?

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #139  
Strange, my water heater element has lasted longer than the tank. As long as it's surrounded by water, it should be fine.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #140  
I did have to once change an element but it was 25 yrs old. (and was it cold) and that was B4 I started the 24/7 routine.
I think my element is 300 watts so same as a few light bulbs but then I know heavy contractors that always leave units plugged in with much bigger wattage.
I once tried using 2 magnetic heaters but soon learned they were not all they were hyped to be.

Changing in the cold had me using a construction heater (to warm me) and many DIY tricks to get that GD old unit out. Dang thing was behind the oil filter and reluctant to leave.
Not fun, draining coolant and oil at -25 is almost enough to want U to 'light it up' and collect on insurance., especially when you hit 80.

LOL, think next winter I'll get a contractor to handle my snow, problem is it'll be close to $1K/yr and did I say I was frugal?
In Colder areas plug ins are left on continuously. Very few failures. The failures are mostly rusted inserts or the cord Area corrodes.