Cold weather starting and idleing?

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #31  
I thought they still used spark ignition engines on forklifts, only to enable the use of propane. Having said that. I wonder if a Tier 4 Final engine would be clean enough to run in a warehouse?

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #32  
I've seen plenty of diesel forklifts, but there're not Tier 4 Final.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #33  
If, one way or the other was substantially better, you wouldn't need opinions, there would evidence of it.

This is a good point and really cuts to the chase.

I have no issue idling when I feel it's necessary on my gas car and truck. The tractor will be set at 1200 to 1500 rpms for up to 15 minutes before I start moving snow if it's really cold out. And if I take a break I leave it running.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #34  
My last three trucks had more idle hours than driving hours when I traded them in. All were 2012 or newer with all the emissions junk. Never had any problems. My 2017 F-450 has idled over 150 hours this month in freezing temperatures.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #35  
This is a good point and really cuts to the chase.

I have no issue idling when I feel it's necessary on my gas car and truck. The tractor will be set at 1200 to 1500 rpms for up to 15 minutes before I start moving snow if it's really cold out. And if I take a break I leave it running.

15 minutes of idling? What for ?

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #36  
I love how people who didn't pay for your car and aren't going to pay to repair it try to tell you that what you've been doing is wrong even though it's worked just fine for decades. Sorry but there shouldn't be oil in your cylinders (unless you have a bad valve seal). That's why pistons have an oil ring. Gas shouldn't be getting past the rings either. As for warming it up, 20 minutes would be excessive but the idea that giving an engine 10 to 30 seconds to get the oil where it needs to go before you set off sounds like the advice your mechanic who's looking for work would give you.

For me my vehicles are in a garage. I often give them 3 or 4 minutes and then it takes about 2 minutes to get down my driveway where I can coast to the bottom. The idle time varies by the temp, -40 means more time than 30.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #38  
I love how people who didn't pay for your car and aren't going to pay to repair it try to tell you that what you've been doing is wrong even though it's worked just fine for decades. Sorry but there shouldn't be oil in your cylinders (unless you have a bad valve seal). That's why pistons have an oil ring. Gas shouldn't be getting past the rings either. As for warming it up, 20 minutes would be excessive but the idea that giving an engine 10 to 30 seconds to get the oil where it needs to go before you set off sounds like the advice your mechanic who's looking for work would give you.

For me my vehicles are in a garage. I often give them 3 or 4 minutes and then it takes about 2 minutes to get down my driveway where I can coast to the bottom. The idle time varies by the temp, -40 means more time than 30.

:thumbsup:

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #39  
It's hard to shift it into gear and the 3 point is very sluggish until it warms up.

Merry Christmas TBN'ers !

Unless your fluid is ancient, that's a pretty clear indication that Ambient = Too Cold. Forcing too thick fluid through hydraulics is asking for trouble.

Somewhere on here, somebody posted the Owner's Manual table of warmup times vs. ambient for their Kubota. Can't remember exact times, but once you were hitting -20, you were into tens of minutes.

Rgds, D.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #40  
Merry Christmas Dave!