Cold weather starting

/ Cold weather starting #11  
Idont start mine at idle ,but i never give it 1/2 throttle .Ido crack it open a bit [mabey 1/4] it does help it start right up.If i dont crack it ,i sometimes need to glow again.Idont like to many rpms at startup either as someone else said.
ALAN

What about a block heater? And has anyone been able to start a BX24/BX25 at 40 below?

/ Cold weather starting #12  
Winter starting begins before you stop the engine. At that point, you should set the throttle to the RPM you want to start it at. (I use 1400-1500). I can gage the engine warm-ness by the rpm drag. It will initially run at 1200 or so then ease up to the set rpm.

check - I've only started my tractor at -30, but that's a L and not a BX. The glow plugs do work good. No heater. But a block heater is the cat's meow, if you have a place to plug it in.

jb

/ Cold weather starting #13  
able to start a BX24/BX25 at 40 below?

Not a BX24/Bx25 but using an inline heater my Kubota B7100 got started on more than one -35C morning.

The hydraulics would be very stiff as would the hydro. I'd usually just drive it around slowly at a lower throttle setting till things warmed up a touch and then cycle all the hydraulics through their full range.

This was also done a few times just using a tarp and small electric heater. There is no way this tractor would have started without the addition of some type of heat at these temperatures.:D:D:D

/ Cold weather starting #14  
I have a block heater on my B7800 and it makes for much faster operating times. The Kubota dealer in Northern Michigan, where I bought the B7800, puts block heaters on every tractor they sell-it is not an option.

I also bought a Katz magnetic heater for $30. I place it on the hydraulic fluid tank at the same time the block heater is on. This really helps with getting going when it's -10C to -30C up here in Northern Ontario

No manual here but someone should have a PDF for your tractor

Index of Kubotabooks/Tractor Parts Manuals/

/ Cold weather starting #15  
What about a block heater? And has anyone been able to start a BX24/BX25 at 40 below?

Ihave started the tractor at 10 below no problem,If its colder than that ,there is no way im leaving the house:)

/ Cold weather starting #16  
I also use a Kubota block heater when the temerature is below freezing usually no less than a 1/2 hour.

At -15F last year, I left it on for an 1 1/2 hours. It started quite easily and I also left the glow plug for about 10 seconds also.

I am sure it would have started at -15 w/o the block heater, but I am sure that it is less stressful. Another thing that I had happen when it got real cold (we had 38 days on which the temperature dropped below zero) was that the liquid ballast in the rear tires froze and made the tractor limp bit from the flat spots.

/ Cold weather starting #17  
Cold weather starting is not as critical as cold weather operating especially with a Hydro...It's very important to let the machine run at idle to 5-15 (depending on the ambient temp) minutes prior to operating. Let the fluids warm up. Do not start the tractor and go at it.

/ Cold weather starting #18  
Idont start mine at idle ,but i never give it 1/2 throttle .Ido crack it open a bit [mabey 1/4] it does help it start right up.If i dont crack it ,i sometimes need to glow again.Idont like to many rpms at startup either as someone else said.
ALAN

I start my BX23 the same way...I just "bump" the throttle so it's not all the way at idle, turn the key to the glow plug position, count a slow 5 seconds then turn it over.

Don