Cold Weather tricks

/ Cold Weather tricks #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2. Light bulbs. I use those in a couple of plumbing places, but they can fail and I've frozen some stuff. Does anyone know of a 100 or 200 watt heater that is reliable and won't set things on fire?)</font>

I think I've heard of some kind of tape you can wrap around pipes and then plug in? Ring any bells with anyone? Might solve the plumbing problems in those trouble spots?

Bob

/ Cold Weather tricks
Bob: The heat cable mentioned before is one type. It's sometimes available at Home Depot. What I need, however, is something I can lower down into a vault which has pipes in it. I can't reach down to get heat tape or cable against each pipe and tape it.

/ Cold Weather tricks #13  
<font color="red"> MR, I haven't a clue about "frosting" the plugs </font>

The blurb to the left of the engine illustration at MR's Tanis reference may be a clue.

My 1845 also starts with a few seconds cranking (and a few more seconds chugging on one or two cylinders) at zero. I haven't tried it below zero yet.

Sedgewood

/ Cold Weather tricks #14  
I have had problems starting my 422 when the temperature gets down to 15 degrees or colder. What has worked for me is to put the battery on charge, take the spark plugs out and take them in to the house for 15 minutes or so to warm up , then put the spark plugs back in , set the choke to full position and the throttle to half and it starts right up. Also it is good to add some dry gas to the fuel tank .

/ Cold Weather tricks
<font color="red"> The blurb to the left of the engine illustration at MR's Tanis reference may be a clue.
</font>
You're right, it's a clue to what MR recalls of pilots talking about frosting the plugs over. It suggests to me that such a phenomenon exists in the lore of hangar pilots but I doubt seriously that it exists inside an engine. Although carburetor ice occurs at a venturi, I don't see how ice can occur in a combustion chamber, absent enough water to cause a problem without even freezing.
My understanding of the cold metal problem throughout the intake and cylinder is that it is difficult to keep the fuel vaporized enough to light it in the low velocity air column in a slow winter crank over. You end up with gasoline coated intake passages and cylinder walls, which also washes off the oil and contributes to wear.
The real solution is to fly south for the winter. You can't plow snow very well with an airplane, anyway.

/ Cold Weather tricks #16  
<font color="blue">You can't plow snow very well with an airplane, anyway. </font>

I've seen someone try it with a Moony... Touched down about mid field. Only problem was he was about 15 feet to the left of the runway /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Big dirt could and, to top it off, he got it airborn again, flew it around the patch and landed. Had about 2 inches of his prop bent backwards /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Needless to say, a call to the local FAA office was made(as well as a call to the local pants laundry).

Come to think of it, I've seen more Moonys damaged than any other aircraft. I think it was a combination of a really fast airplane and an inexperienced pilot every time. Allways seem to land long and run off the end of the runways.

But, back on subject. Does ether(starting fluid) do any damage to the engine when used sparingly? I've used it for years on many gasoline engines and never appeared to have any problems directly related to it. Does it cause any wear that may not show up for years down the road?

/ Cold Weather tricks
<font color="red"> But, back on subject. Does ether(starting fluid) do any damage to the engine when used sparingly? </font>

I suspect that most engine manufacturers recommend against it because most of us don't use it sparingly enough. I've used it on a lot of engines without a problem. The only instance of damage that was attributed to starting fluid was the 4-71, two stroke diesel. As I recall, it broke ring lands on the piston, which the mechanic said was saused by a lot of ether put in when the real starting problem was somewhere else. (I haven't researched whether he was right, or quoting an old wives' tale.) Some diesel machines have ether spray built on the intake and controlled from the cab, so it certainly isn't universally bad.
Unless you spray so much ether that it condenses substantial amounts on the cylinder walls, I can't see how it will cause long-term problems. A whiff of it will enhance combustion, certainly, if you have spark. It can light off in the intake manifold if you get a backfire, but so can gasoline.
Of course, at our place one pervasive motto is: "If some's good, more's better." We'd no doubt overuse starting fluid daily if it weren't for the fact that all the cans are empty already. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cold Weather tricks #18  
Kohler's Technical Support Rep. was not of too much help, but had some personal experience while teaching a class during last winter, in Canada . He told me that an expert dealer had cut a long dipstick heater down to 18 inches to fit the 25 hp Kohler engine and after plugging in the dipstick for less then 30 minutes the engine started (outside in a snow storm).

Charlie's and my Bondurant Wy friend Harmon (7000 feet above sea level) had the following information from the engineers at Arctic Cat. Heated Dip Sticks are getting two hot and caramelize the oil. He has products installed from Phillips & Temro 5 1/2 x 1/2 and 8 1/4 x 1/2 in his Arctic Cat's Phillips & Temro and says the work great.

for his John Deer 4050/55/65 he says he installed a JD Filter Heater. He also uses a tarp and a space heater on some of his other small equipment.

Terry at PT suggested to install a heating element (diesel product very close to the filter, but had no part description or mfgr. name. i just called him back now and he is going to look into the Phillips & Temro option. One of the problems we have the drain plug on the pt 425 is 3/8 an P&T' is 1/2.

Well all these suggestions did not help me much.

in nine degree weather (lucky i am mad out of swiss chocolate and swiss cheese):

-i opened the engine compartment
-attached a fully charged battery pack to the Pt not Kohler muffler (very substantial piece)
-removed the filter
-removed the spark plugs and cleaned them as good i could
-injected some starting fluid and replaced the spark plugs
-injected starting fluid into the carburator
- with the right hand i turned the ignition key with the oter above the carburator i moved the choke cable and cranket for some 60 seconds and the beasty started in the fresh air environment of 9 degrees.
- most of you guys don't need to do this because you are not going from place to place ... me i just leave the engine running while transporting, the pt (on an open trailer) from place to place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cold Weather tricks #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But, back on subject. Does ether(starting fluid) do any damage to the engine when used sparingly?)</font>

I know *you* know this, Moss, but just in case, for others listening in.. many diesels have intake warming systems which can cause an <font color="red">explosion</font> if starting fluids like ether are used with them. Explosions tend to shorten the life of both the engine and the operator. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Cold Weather tricks
<font color="red"> I think it was a combination of a really fast airplane and an inexperienced pilot every time. Allways seem to land long and run off the end of the runways.
</font>
The field I flew out had pavement about 2300' x 12' wide. I learned how to do slow approaches -- and go rounds. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif