Colorado Man Killed In Large Wood Chipper

/ Colorado Man Killed In Large Wood Chipper #51  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Chipper we use )</font>

That's a little different from the one I used the most. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 806632-PC010003 (Small).JPG
    806632-PC010003 (Small).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 256
   / Colorado Man Killed In Large Wood Chipper #52  
<font color="blue">Don't you guys pester the manufacturers to improve the safety devices? Doesn't OSHA? It seems so unnecessary to have the machines continue to be this dangerous. </font>

Ed -

I am going to be "pinging" on Vermeer and possibly other chipper manufacturers to incorporate some of the ideas expressed in this thread into their chippers. At the very least, one or more of these ideas (voice activated shut-off, infrared detection) could be easily incorporated into (near) future production models, and retrofit kits could easily be made available for owners of existing machines.

There were 31 chipper fatalities in the US from 1992-2002, and god knows how many injuries. "Not too bad?" one might say? Bad enough, I say. Especially when most of them could probably have been prevented with existing technology that might add $100 to the cost of a chipper. (How much does the "Clapper" cost - $19.95?)

Hootie - You call that a chipper? My chipper could chip that thing! Just kidding of course - truth be told, that is the largest recycler I have ever seen. That thing makes the Brush Bandit "Beast" recycler look almost like a toy. Who makes that monster? And what's the total HP? I'm guessing it has at least four diesel engines, for a total of 1,500-2,000 HP? More?

Bird - I'm sure yours does just what you need it to do, and I bet it cost a lot less than Hootie's! His must go for about $1.5 million, and I bet yours didn't even cost half of that. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lastly - Barry, I'm sorry I "teed off" on you. This one just hit way too close to home, and I still have too vivid an image of the horrible event that occured FOR REAL on December 29, 2005, and too many other times. I forgive you for posting something that I didn't like; my forgiveness is not contingent on you forgiving me for getting angry, but I hope you can. We're all on the same team, and in a lot of ways, the world is in its own little "2-minute drill". Not really the time for us to be fighting amongst ourselves. Again, I apologize for being anything but kind and understanding. Sorry teamie.

John

/ Colorado Man Killed In Large Wood Chipper #53  
Speaking of Vermeer, they are clearing some acreage nearby and have a Vermeer TG9000 inplace to chew up the trees. It looks like this would be a pretty safe chipper. Apparently you use a track hoe to drop the trees into the top? See attachment.

Attachments

• 806782-Chipper.jpg
    806782-Chipper.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 378