Mowing Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I started a commercial HOA mowing business about 10 years ago, but never did lawns, just fields and right of ways.

On one of the HOAs, I mow about 30 acres fields with a 15' batwing and hay another 25 acres, they asked me if I'd like to take over their lawn mowing for them. There's about 15 acres of lawn ranging from yard type lawn to trails and open ball field areas. I decided to accept.

Already purchased a used Kubota diesel 72" side discharge zero turn. I have an option to buy a used John Deere 1565 diesel with cab and 72" rear discharge mower. I like the idea of 2 used units in good condition over 1 new unit.

Anyhow, wanted to get pro & con on side discharge versus rear discharge decks. It's obvious where the clippings are discharged. Never owned a rear discharge deck, but wondering which will be better for overall appearance? Cant help but think rear discharge will fan the clippings out and they will just lay there (customer complaints?).
Side discharge may "distribute" the clippings further/wider and can continue to chop them up with each pass? Side discharge better around mulch beds. Where is rear discharge better?

Last edited:
   / Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #2  
I prefer side discharge decks. Opinions vary, but I like the way they spread the clippings out.
I did add discharge chute covers a few years ago to both of my zd mowers (326, 331) for the occasions I want to control the clippings being discharged.
I mow about 13 large country residential lots for a total of about 25 acres. I also prefer 2 older machines over 1 new one.

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #3  
You could not give me a commercial (expensive) side discharge mower. Unless you need a collection system. ALWAYS worrying and having to pay attention to what and where you are blasting your clippings.

ALL my equipment is rear discharge except a 72" Steiner deck that I got on trade and is for sale. They don't make a 72" rear discharge, otherwise I would have kept it.

And the very first thing I ever did with a side discharge deck is remove the chute, for better clearance. You get into bigger decks and the last thing you need is all that chute sticking out the side.

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #4  
Those chutes are terrible. They make clumping really bad and pushed my mower to nearly 100 inches.

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #5  
Rear discharge for me.

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #6  
Unless your bagging the clippings why would a person want the clipping discharged in a nice neat row by the side discharge ?
Side discharge not scatter the cuttings much on anything I have owned. Unless the grass is pretty short and dry.

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #7  
After having a rear discharge mower, I’d never go back to a side discharge. I hate windrows, (except when doing hay).

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #8  
You could not give me a commercial (expensive) side discharge mower. Unless you need a collection system. ALWAYS worrying and having to pay attention to what and where you are blasting your clippings.

ALL my equipment is rear discharge except a 72" Steiner deck that I got on trade and is for sale. They don't make a 72" rear discharge, otherwise I would have kept it.

And the very first thing I ever did with a side discharge deck is remove the chute, for better clearance. You get into bigger decks and the last thing you need is all that chute sticking out the side.

On my Deines the chute makes it distribute much more evenly and in a wider pattern. I wouldn't think a rear discharge would be able to handle heavy cutting well but I have never had one. Otherwise i think they would be great because you are evenly distributing the clippings.

/ Commercial side and rear discharge deck questions #9  
Side discharge with a Grass Flap. All day.