Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #1  

Rancher Ed

Gold Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota M7040 4WD w/loader, 1979? Mitsubishi D2600 4WD w/loader
This might not happen, but I am considering a dedicated commuter car and am curious what the group here would choose in a similar situation and why.

Daily commute would be 35 to 40 miles each way consisting of a mix of the following:
  1. 20 miles of freeway at 75 to 80 mph, possibly 85mph depending on traffic
  2. ~10 miles of 2-lane county roads, 45 to 55 mph
  3. ~10 miles of gravel county roads, 35 to 50 mph
If I do this, whatever I select would need to comfortably handle both the gravel roads and 85mph freeway stretches without wearing out prematurely. I prefer sitting up higher but mileage is a consideration. The primary reason for a dedicated commuter car would be to keep miles off my truck, with any money savings being an added bonus. My current truck averages ~14 mpg in the described driving conditions. The distance is well within electric capabilities, so I am open to that possibility if it will handle the gravel, freeway, and make financial sense. Gas is currently $3.00 to $3.10 per gallon and electricity is ~13c/kW including fees/fixed costs.

Thoughts/recommendations/what would you do in a similar situation? Just driving the truck is an option but it would obviously wear out a lot sooner if I am putting ~19k miles per year on commuting, and both new and gently used trucks are ridiculously expensive right now.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #2  
Honda civic
Will handle everything u specified.
Easy to repair if necessary.
Great mileage

If u need more space: Nissan Rogue

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #3  
No idea of what your gravel roads are like...but around here, unless you have at least Load Range E (10 ply) LT type tires on your rig, you'll be destroying your tires in no time at all driving 50 mph on gravel.

Don't know of any Teslas or other commuter cars that come with 10 ply tires. I had to change the tires on my F150 to Load Range E because the OEM tires were being busted.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #4  
A used RAV 4 might fit the bill. Also Honda Accord Civic or Toyota Corolla. May as well throw in a Chevy Bolt as well

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel
Thank you for the Rav4 and Rogue suggestions. When I have a little more time I will check mileage ratings and run some numbers on them as well as check tire sizes.

To those suggesting sedans, how do they handle gravel? Does the suspension wear our faster than a full-size truck or SUV, especially since low profile tires with large rims have become so common (small SUVs/cross-overs might have the same issue)?

DesertEagle,
I am not sure the gravel roads are as bad as yours but I am definitely concerned about standard passenger tires. More sidewall with smaller rims is preferable as well as higher rated tires. When needed I would replace the tires with a mild all-terrain tire as they tend to have stronger sidewalls and hold up better on gravel in my experience.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #6  
I'd second the Rav4 and add the Subaru outback - both sit higher than a car and better ground clearance and can stow a lot in the back with seats down if you need to haul soemthing. The Outback is comfortable if you're tall and has AWD - both can be found used (2015-2017) for $15-18K and get 25-30 MPG.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #7  
Was in the same boat. Commute about the same distance. Ended up with a 2015 ford fusion. AWD or 4wd would be nice for the winter but if it gets bad, I'll just take the truck.

I don't go down dirt roads to often but sometimes I'm forced too. Mainly highway and country roads.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #8  
We live 2 miles off the pavement on a gravel / dirt road and so long as you drive sanely (we do), never a problem. People have issues when they drive on dirt / gravel roads at warp factor 1+. That dust and kicked up gravel is destroying the underside of the vehicle as in sandblasting.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #9  
We live 2 miles off the pavement on a gravel / dirt road and so long as you drive sanely (we do), never a problem. People have issues when they drive on dirt / gravel roads at warp factor 1+. That dust and kicked up gravel is destroying the underside of the vehicle as in sandblasting.

Again, it depends on where you live.

Not many paved roads where I live. If I leave my driveway and drive due south it will be 133 miles till I get to the first pavement. No towns, service stations, businesses or homes along the way. There's a few ranches but they are way off the main dirt road. Most times when I drive this road I don't encounter another vehicle.

Below is a section of the road. Yes, I drive it at what you call "warp" speed. Otherwise it would take forever to get anywhere. I've been driving these roads for 50+ years and experience has told me that going fast on dirt roads on passenger type tires will quickly destroy them. It takes only one sharp rock. I've had to help a lot of people who busted a tire AND their spare and were stranded. Which is why, since the OP mentioned driving dirt roads at up to 50 mph, I recommended LT type tires.
P1060325ecrtbn.jpg

Oh, and some good wide mud flaps and running boards keeps the spray of gravel off the vehicle pretty well.

/ Commuter Vehicle Thoughts - Freeway + County + Gravel #10  
I drove a 2006 Honda CRV for the last 5 years and 180K miles. Giving it to my niece now. The Honda was good but if I were to buy again I would try to find one that relatively new, as the model I had was terrible on gas. I could barely squeak out 22-24 mpgs driving like a grandma and keeping it unloaded as much as possible. Newer ones are much better. I think they have better seats now too, as mine were torturous.

Not sure of your budget, but the Rav4 Prime had my eye when I was shopping. I didn't go that route because I pivoted a little and decided a small truck would be better (glad did). My commute is changing from 75 miles each way to 3.