Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #131  
I just went through the 2WD/4WD decision myself. I was able to get 4WD in the same type tractor for an additional $4,000. That's a big extra in my mind, but I felt I would be getting a more useful, safer, machine in the end, and it will also be easier to resell, if I ever need to.
If I couldn't have come up with the additional 4K, I would have bought the 2WD, and I'm sure it would have worked fine.
It's not that 2WD is bad, it's just that more often than not, 4WD is better. It's if the additional cost can be justified for your own situation/conditions.

Bill

Yes, conditions vary for sure. I had a 2WD on one of our hill farms for a few years and while it worked for some things, not others. Going front first down a steep slope even in dry conditions often left me skidding to the bottom, so I often had to back down which is not particularly easy. It got to be too nerve wracking and I took it out to our flat land farm.

My father in law bought a new Massey Ferguson 375 2WD with FEL when he retired and less than two months later traded it in on a new one with 4WD as he was constantly getting stuck and sliding down hills.

There are a lot of happy 2WD owners out there who are happy with theirs, sure can't second guess them and their experience, they are just not for me.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #132  
I am not even a hobby farmer; I use my tractor to mow and maintain my property and for projects that come along. Really, everything I do with my tractor is "optional." No way would I want to go back to a 2wd tractor. The only way I would do it is if I absolutely could not afford one with 4wd. It makes SUCH a big difference in the power that gets to the ground. My 35 hp will out pull the 45 hp I traded in because of 4wd. If you have any slopes at all, you will find there are instances when, without even working the tractor hard, you will get in a jam with 2wd. I could not back uphill even with the FEL empty.

2wd = frequent frustration
4wd = more smiles

I will add that even with loaded rear tires and a 6' brush hog on the back, the times I have used the loader to its highest capability would have seen me sitting in one spot if I didn't have 4wd.

Last week I used my tractor -- and it had to be in 4wd -- to pull out my stuck 2wd pickup.

Simply put, 4wd is the greatest thing since power steering!

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #133  
Seems like this thread is turning more and more into a "2wd vs 4 wd" argument. So hey, I might was well jump on the train.

A 4wd tractor is generally more capable. So, depending on what your doing (I can't say "always") you will get a more capable tractor in the same size if you get a 4wd.
There is a reason many implements have two ratings from the manufacturer regarding tractor size, one is for 2wd, and the other 4wd. The 4wd tractor will generally "work" the implement better, and stronger, than the less capable same model tractor with 2wd.

Lets get away from this "need" thing. In many cases a tractor itself isn't even "needed", let alone 4wd, and many of the other niceties our tractors come with these days.

The 4wd will be more useful than the 2wd, hands down, and will also have better resale.

I believe the op already stated he was going with 4wd?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #134  
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna go and check everything out. Used would be fine with me, especially if I get a more capable machine. A lot of varied opinions on the options. I know that I want HST. I don't want a cab. I'm not wanting to drive all over the SE looking at tractors. I want dealer support such that when I need service I want to pick up the phone and have the dealer come get it.
Some are wondering including myself, Did you have any luck checking out the tractors and dealerships or find and or buy a tractor if so what did you get???? Inquiring minds and all

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?
Haven't bought yet. I've checked out JD 3032, 4105, 5045d. Checked out some kubotas, though I can't remember model numbers. I'm gonna wait a bit and see what my tax damage is before I do anything. My tractor money may be going to that cesspool in Washington. I'm ok with buying a good used one if I could find it. I know I want a hst for sure after looking around.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #137  
Comparing similar machines, the 4wd will generally have advantages over 2wd. However if money is part of the equation and used tractors are considered, you can get a whole lot more PTO hp in a 2wd than you can from a similarly priced 4wd. One example is my 2 tractors which cost about the same money. One is a 17hp b7100, the other is around 50hp 2040, paid around 4-4500 for each. I use both for different jobs, but for mowing the larger 2wd with a 6'cutter is the MUCH better tool. It just depends on what your needs will be.. I wish you the best in your search! Tractor buying and research is half the fun :)

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #138  
This thread is interesting to a guy like me with a 35hp 4WD cut and a 53hp 2WD utility both with loaders. The 5210 (2WD) has loaded r1s with wide front tires, and the ct335 (4WD) has loaded r4s. I would actually bet that my 5210 will go through deeper mud than my ct335 will. I've churned through some pretty deep mud with 2wd and ag tires, and my 5210 will lift and pull more. The purchase price for each tractor was within $200. The 5210 was purchased 1 year old with 100 hrs on it 13 years ago, and the CT335 was purchased new 2 years ago.

The tractors offer me different benefits. The 5210 filled all my needs for a decade and even worked well hauling firewood from the woods, but the 335 with the HST is far more maneuverable for working in close quarters and has faster cycle times with loader work. If I need to pull or lift a heavy load it's the 5210, if I am loading or clearing snow it's the 335. Both tractors have their place in my barn, and either one could work as my single tractor if necessary.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?
Well, in case anyone is interested, I finally made it to the JD dealer and bought a tractor. I know the owner decently well, as he does business with me, so I thought I would return the favor. He happened to pull up at the same time that I did this morning so I dealt with him directly. I looked at several different models. I ended up getting a basic 3032. The 5 series is just too large. I thought about a 4105, but it's a pretty big difference in price. Plus, I figure the 3 series would be easier to fish out the pool than anything larger if my wife decides to take it for a spin. I'm getting a box blade, bush hog, and FEL. He gave me a really good price. No haggling at all. It will be delivered on Monday.

I'm pretty excited. He suggested sticking with the R1 tires since most of what I do will be in woods and it can get wet and muddy. I'm thinking about getting the tires filled, but haven't inquired about it yet. I'll probably spring for the Ihitch and the quick detach for the FEL. Anything else I should consider? Thanks for everyone's input. It's much appreciated.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #140  
I would fill the tires and stay off the lawn when it is soggy... That's what we do with our L3830 (which has R1s and loaded rears) and our lawn looks decent (not that we have a golf course, but no noticeable tire tracks).

Aaron Z