Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #1  

welyell

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
I currently use a Husqvarna HST drive, side discharge, 24HP gasoline riding lawn mower (garden tractor style, not zero turn) with a 48" deck. The first mowing of the season, wet grass up to a 1+ foot tall REALLY bogs down the mower and requires a very slow speed to mow. How would an HST drive, 26HP Diesel Tractor with a 3pt/PTO driven, 54" rear discharge finish mower compare? Would it still bog down like the gas/side discharge mower? I want to keep the loader bucket size at 54" to maneuver around fruit and ornamental trees on a 2 acre property. Also want to see if I can avoid the HP that requires a DPF, but if I need the HP, then I'll deal with the DPF :(

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #2  
It’ll probably do better but a mower deck will only take so much. Forgot about mowing with the loader on.

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #3  
It may do a little better, but it would still be slow mowing if you let it get that deep.
Finish mowers don't do well in deep grass

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #4  
On my previous 34 hp tractor and 84” rear discharge finish mower I could mow at a reasonable speed, but the clippings always clumped in anything but short and dry grass.
Perhaps a non dpf diesel with a belly mower would be an option.

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #5  
Switch to a 48 to 60" "rotary cutter" and you will mow that grass, no problem at all...

SR

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #6  
Switch to a 48 to 60" "rotary cutter" and you will mow that grass, no problem at all...

SR

Or just mow before it gets that tall. In either case regardless of power a lawnmower isn’t meant for cutting 1’ tall grass.

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing
Or just mow before it gets that tall. In either case regardless of power a lawnmower isn’t meant for cutting 1’ tall grass.

Too many areas that would turn into mud bogs if I tried to run equipment through them from October to May. The Pacific Northwest usually doesn't get the super heavy rain showers they do in the south, but it's pretty much a continuous drizzle from Oct-May. :)

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #8  
Too many areas that would turn into mud bogs if I tried to run equipment through them from October to May. The Pacific Northwest usually doesn't get the super heavy rain showers they do in the south, but it's pretty much a continuous drizzle from Oct-May. :)

Than I agree with bush hogging it the first time and taking over with a deck. How thick is the grass. If it isn’t very thick my mowers take 1’ tall grass pretty good. If it’s good grass and thick it’s not going to be quick.

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #9  
I currently use a Husqvarna HST drive, side discharge, 24HP gasoline riding lawn mower (garden tractor style, not zero turn) with a 48" deck. The first mowing of the season, wet grass up to a 1+ foot tall REALLY bogs down the mower and requires a very slow speed to mow. How would an HST drive, 26HP Diesel Tractor with a 3pt/PTO driven, 54" rear discharge finish mower compare? Would it still bog down like the gas/side discharge mower? I want to keep the loader bucket size at 54" to maneuver around fruit and ornamental trees on a 2 acre property. Also want to see if I can avoid the HP that requires a DPF, but if I need the HP, then I'll deal with the DPF :(

I think you would find a considerable difference in cutting capability, even though subcompact tractors - on paper - have about the same horsepower as your Husqvarna. That was certainly my experience going from a 24 HP John Deere lawn tractor to a 22 HP Kubota subcompact. The Kohler gas engined JD would bog in heavy grass but the diesel Kubota was for all practical purposes unstoppable. There simply wasn't anything you could remotely call "lawn grass" that would bog it down to any degree, even thick material 18" tall. Now getting all the clippings discharged was another matter, and that was the limiting factor in how fast you could go.

That was with a mid-mounted deck. A rear mounted 3 point deck with rear discharge should be even better, but you sacrifice maneuverabililty with a rear mounted deck. Other posters are correct that a rotary cutter is the better solution if you have rough ground or woody material to cut.

/ Compact Diesel Engine Tractor vs Gas Engine Riding Lawn Mower For Mowing #10  
Not an apples to apples comparison but I pulled a 72" RFM with a 28HP geared compact with no issues. Speed was not an issue. I don't think a 54" RFM with a 25HP with hydro would be an issue either. I currently use a Toro Groundsmaster with a 25 HP diesel and 72" deck. It's a load in heavy grass but uses a mulching deck that pulls harder. The quality of cut is the best I've ever had.