Compact/mid size Tractor or Skid Steer Track loader for farm?

/ Compact/mid size Tractor or Skid Steer Track loader for farm? #11  
The other issue is if you have a MUD Season in your area, you will be shocked at how the skidsteer will tear up the ground!!!:eek:

Heck...you'd be better to get a Power-Trac...:D
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/

But, ultimately...you'll be happier with a nice CUT...:D

/ Compact/mid size Tractor or Skid Steer Track loader for farm? #12  
Tractor is far more versatile than a skidsteer.

Vic

/ Compact/mid size Tractor or Skid Steer Track loader for farm? #13  
We have both and most of the issues have been covered by others.
Have to chime in on the lack of ground clearance of the skidsteer.
In mud it does tear up the ground.
That said, whenever I have anything to do in general I get the skidsteer.
If I had to choose one or the other, I would definately choose the CUT without a doubt.
The CUT pulls things like a box scraper and farm implements. I have never mastered backing the skidsteer to try to smooth something with the bucket wihout weaving around.....I dont know how a skidsteer could ever pull a boxblade while backing up, maybe others are better operators, I dont know.
I would not want to run a rotary cutter from the front of a skidsteer.
Another thing is I would not want a CUT any smaller than out L4330 GST.
We also have a mini excavator which does other things (great for the breaker and auger) and so I have to say once again that no one machine does it all.
FYI: If you are going to consider a skidsteer anyway, I highly recommend you go check out the CAT product before you buy another brand. (NO I am not affiliated in any way with CAT). I looked at Bobcat and the others first, and personally think the CAT is clearly the one to get.
Best,
Runk

/ Compact/mid size Tractor or Skid Steer Track loader for farm? #14  
Runk said:
FYI: If you are going to consider a skidsteer anyway, I highly recommend you go check out the CAT product before you buy another brand. (NO I am not affiliated in any way with CAT). I looked at Bobcat and the others first, and personally think the CAT is clearly the one to get.
Best,
Runk

I have owned a Bobcat 763, Caterpillar 257, and now a John Deere CT332. I will never again buy a new Cat skid steer given my experience. It had an engine fire which Cat did not cover under any sort of warranty after just one year of use (apparently this was a somewhat common issue). Furthermore, the high center of gravity rendered it unusable on slopes and consequently I had two instances in which I flipped it (after the engine fire which was actually caused by a faulty ball bearing). After just 650 hours the tracks were shot. The machine cost us around 43 thousand dollars new and servicing for the machine was incredibly expensive.

By comparison, my new CT332 which is 40 percent more powerful cost 51,000 dollars with hand controls, cab w/ heater, automatic quick-tach, and a two speed transmission. This machine, which now has 500 hours on it, still performs flawlessly. There have been two recalls on the machine and Deere promptly came out and fixed the machine and also covered a faulty electronic servo control for free under warranty. This machine is incredibly stable and will lift almost anything. Perhaps the new caterpillar stuff is better, but the CAT 257 was a flawed machine as far as I'm concerned.

Attachments

• Deere-IV.jpg
    Deere-IV.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 968
   / Compact/mid size Tractor or Skid Steer Track loader for farm? #15  
I've also heard that the Cat Compact Track loaders are expensive to own. Track maintenance is expected to be $10-15 per hour of operation. That's $10-15,000 out of pocket every 1000 clock hours. That's once a year for commercial use. That's a wee bit expensive. The new ones may be better, but only time will tell .

jb