Compact tractor sizing

/ Compact tractor sizing #11  
Might have just been my impression looking to replace my L3200.

/ Compact tractor sizing #12  
I think there's some truth in this. But someone told me once about the power of words:
- there's the tractor you WANT
- there's the tractor you NEED
- there's the tractor you DESERVE

Deserve is the most powerful word. I've been working hard this year, I deserve a B01 even though I mow all of about half an acre. :cool2:

/ Compact tractor sizing #13  
I bought my tractor based on maneuverability and wheel size. My yard is rough. My lawn tractor used to bounce me out of the seat because of it's relatively tiny wheels. A BX didn't have much larger wheels so I disqualified it. The L series was a bit too much for my 3 acres to maneuver around trees and other lawn items.
So I wound up with a B2320 with turf tires. It's just right for me, the box blade and FEL take care of the driveway and my ongoing "into the woods" project. And the 60" finish mower cut about 40% of my mowing time. All is good.

/ Compact tractor sizing #14  
I bought 23 acres with about 18 acres of woods back in 2001. After a lot of research and surveying the property knowing that we were going to build a house and barn and would need to mow 5-6 acres, I bought a new B2910. That tractor did everything I needed to do and then some. I've always said that was the smartest money I ever spent. Fast forward to 2017 and my health dictated a/c for the summer heat. I knew that I wanted about the same size tractor, so after asking questions, and doing a lot of research, I bought a B2650 w/cab.

The number of acres has very little to do with tractor size. It all depends on what you are going to accomplish with the tractor. You need to look at all the chores that will be assigned to the tractor, and base your decision on the results. You can do most things with the smallest tractor available, but it will take you more time. As you increase the tractor size, you decrease the time to finish most chores, and will be safer for the heavy chores.

Look at the Kubota as a lifetime investment. If I could still tolerate the heat like I used to, I would still be extremely happy with my B2910. I had almost 1900 hours on it, and the only thing wrong with it was my right curl cylinder had a small leak.

If you could give us a fairly well detailed list of what you need to use the tractor for, we would be able to give you a much more accurate idea of what tractor to choose.

Good Luck,
Joe

/ Compact tractor sizing #15  
Flat 5 acres divided into horse paddocks, an arena and a garden out front, we move fenced areas around so use a post hole digger for new fencing and fill in the old holes, a smudger in the arena and the 4 in 1 bucket for cleaning up what horses do best.
Apart from that just grading the driveway, bulldozing garden beds end of season, general weed spraying and rolling out 600kg round bales.
The BX2370 is more than adequate for our needs and fits nicely in our lock up shed.
We have no clearing to do although we do pick up fallen branches after a storm we we use in the wood heater.
Based on this I can't justify a larger tractor for our acreage.

/ Compact tractor sizing #16  
I don't think so. I've had several BXs, Fs, Bs and a couple of Ls. Size implements and use are more determining factors than size of property. :2cents:

Agree. My little BX is perfect for maintaining my two properties totaling 11 acres.

/ Compact tractor sizing #17  
Actually not. The L6060, for example, outspecs the 4720 in weight, wheelbase, 3 point capacity, etc. For day-to-day work though, the Grand L's and 4000's would work at essentially the same level. They compete nose to nose.

I shopped both the L6060 and JD 4720 about 3 years ago before buying an L6060 nearly 2 years ago. Both had features that I liked (and disliked) and my local JD dealer had a hold over Tier III 4720 that I should have bought at the time but did not because their salesman was both unknowledgeable and arrogant.

The 4720 has been replaced with the (IIRC) 4066R. I reviewed this model before buying my 6060. The L6060 is a bit heavier and its engine has about 10-12 more CI than the JD. Both engines are turbocharged but the JD is also intercooled and makes a couple more HP, which would be unnoticeable. I really wanted the EPTO feature, standard equipment on the JD and unavailable on the 6060, but after using my 6060 for a couple of seasons have determined that it would be unusable for my purposes. Indeed, the optional EPTO on my 90 PTO HP M9960 is only marginally useable with my 7' Woods BB840X cutter and will be completely unusable once I make the planned upgrade to a 12' bat wing.

Overall, I believe that I made the right decision by choosing the 6060 rather than the 4720/4066R. The deciding factor was the rear rims supplied with R4 tires. Bolt together, adjustable center/rim assemblies with the 6060 vis a vis one piece wheel/rims on the JD. This was an absolute show stopper for me, though, if buying today, I would buy R1s making this a moot point as both Kubota and JD tractors have bolt together center/rim wheels when supplied with R1s.

SDT

/ Compact tractor sizing #18  
I have a 2660 & a BX23. Properties are 1.3 & 1.7 acres. The BX's do everything I need them to, but s-l-o-w-l-y. I think there is a time trade-off in tractor choice too. When I'm running the 23's BH, it gets the job done, but I feel like I'm bailing Lake Tahoe out with a tablespoon.

/ Compact tractor sizing #19  
I bought the B2650 when I bought my 13 acres following similar logic. Problem is, my 13 acres is heavily wooded and most of what I do with the B is “logging”. I’m in the process of upgrading for FEL lift capacity. MX5200HST, L4701, L4760, L47 is where I’m at.

/ Compact tractor sizing #20  
I bought the B2650 when I bought my 13 acres following similar logic. Problem is, my 13 acres is heavily wooded and most of what I do with the B is “logging”. I’m in the process of upgrading for FEL lift capacity. MX5200HST, L4701, L4760, L47 is where I’m at.

That L47 would sure be a nice machine!