Compact tractor using bale accumulator

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #1  

PROFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
International 444, Yanmar YM169d, Cub Cadet
Hi all. Have been asked to make some fields of small bales for a friend about 5 miles from home. It’s about 8 acres and he apparently normally gets 4-600 bales off of it but looks thicker than normal this year so could be more. I’m not keen on taking my accumulator over due to distance. The guy is wondering if he were to fabricate or purchase an accumulator grapple would his 35hp kubota tractor be able to use it ok? His loader has a lift capacity of 650kg at 24” beyond the pins of the loader. Thoughts would be welcomed!

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #2  
650kg = 1433 pounds

At 50 pounds per bale, that's about 28 bales (if centered at the 24" reference point).

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #3  
I have a 45hp Kioti with a loader lift capacity of 2,800 lbs at the pins (I couldn't find a spec 24" in front of pins). I am able to handle 10 (50 lb) bales, but that is about ALL the tractor/FEL can handle!

I think it will be a real challenge for a 35 hp tractor to handle 10 bales - that 800+ lbs is very far 'out front'! Maybe an 8 bale grapple??

Even 8 bales would be quite a load, and a considerable investment making it quite a gamble. Is there a dealer (or friend) in the area, where he could take his tractor to "test" a grapple? I would think a couple of 200+ lb fellas sitting on the grapple should "simulate" a load of hay adequately.

Good Luck! It is a real labor saver!

PS After thinking a minute; just because you have a 8 (or 10) bale grapple, doesn't mean you have to use the full capacity of the grapple. You can always just lift as many bales as the tractor can handle! If he is going to fabricate an accumulator/grapple I would recommend just making it for 6 bales.

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator
I have a 45hp Kioti with a loader lift capacity of 2,800 lbs at the pins (I couldn't find a spec 24" in front of pins). I am able to handle 10 (50 lb) bales, but that is about ALL the tractor/FEL can handle!

I think it will be a real challenge for a 35 hp tractor to handle 10 bales - that 800+ lbs is very far 'out front'! Maybe an 8 bale grapple??

Even 8 bales would be quite a load, and a considerable investment making it quite a gamble. Is there a dealer (or friend) in the area, where he could take his tractor to "test" a grapple? I would think a couple of 200+ lb fellas sitting on the grapple should "simulate" a load of hay adequately.

Good Luck! It is a real labor saver!

PS After thinking a minute; just because you have a 8 (or 10) bale grapple, doesn't mean you have to use the full capacity of the grapple. You can always just lift as many bales as the tractor can handle! If he is going to fabricate an accumulator/grapple I would recommend just making it for 6 bales.

Thanks for that. Over here in UK most tend to be 8 grabs anyway so may consider that then potentially cutting it down to 4?

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #5  
To figure what a loader can lift (theoretically) at different distances, it's "just" a matter of calculating the torque. Easiest way and "close enough" way I use is:

1) measure distance from loader arm pivot point to the bucket end of the loader arm as distance "X" (we'll use 10' as an example)
2) look up spec for lift capacity at the bucket pivot point (eg. 2800 #)(if spec'd at some other distance like 24" beyond, then add 24" to above and use the spec'd lift capacity.
3) multiply #1 & #2 (10' * 2800# = 28000 ft lbs)
4) for any other distance like 4' in front of bucket pins - add the 4' to #1 and divide #3 by that:
28,000 ft lbs/ (10' + 4') =2000#

This will put you in the ball park and you'll find out that you lose lift capacity pretty quickly the farther out you go.

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #6  
What other options would you consider? Since you are able to pull an accumulator, why not pick up a cheap haywagon or flatbed trailer and tow it behind the baler (them helping by stacking). I have used an 8' x 16' dual axle deck-over snowmobile trailer behind my baler with a 35hp JD running a JD 14T baler. Had 200 on it at one time in the past (Illinois Bale Stacking Contest winners both helping ) ! No problems at all.

I now use a NH 1012 bale stack wagon. I can put 64 on it and drop them off where-ever, when-ever I need to. But, why not try out the grapple with 8 of your own bales and see how well it does ?

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #7  
What other options would you consider? Since you are able to pull an accumulator, why not pick up a cheap haywagon or flatbed trailer and tow it behind the baler (them helping by stacking). I have used an 8' x 16' dual axle deck-over snowmobile trailer behind my baler with a 35hp JD running a JD 14T baler. Had 200 on it at one time in the past (Illinois Bale Stacking Contest winners both helping ) ! No problems at all.?

I dunno, an 8 bale grapple might be easier to come by (& cheaper) than (2) Illinois Bale Stacking Champions!!:laughing:

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #8  
If you have forks, put them on tractor and load with what ever you know the weight of spread out as hay would be to test the tractor. We did that very thing for a NH 40. Telling it is a 35 hp kubota misses the tractor weight. No way think a B Kubota would handle it, would never consider on a B but the L "might". A good counter weight is a 3 pth sprayer filled with water. It is not only the lifting it is also the moving with the load and then what you will be doing with the hay. Are you loading on a trailer or stacking and if so does it have the height?

BTW, what we were doing today was using two tractors loading small square bales with second tractor much larger tractor and able to reach about three feet higher. Oh, weight of hay accumulators/grapples can vary a good bit so their weight must also be considered with the hay's weight. Do allow for bales being heavier than normal as any crop can vary some.

/ Compact tractor using bale accumulator #9  
Yes he can do it as I already aim. He will need filled rear tires though. I am running a 205 Compact Bale Grabber Specialty Grabbers | Kuhns Mfg LLC | North Bloomfield, OH They make a small accumulator too ( AF4 - Square Bale Accumulator), but I can sweep and grasp 4 bales very quickly.

0616171031b.jpg0414151537.jpg0414151518a.jpg

On edit
One thing I did was mock up the grapple and see how much room and clearance I had working in the barn. I used my pallet forks, a few pallets stacked for the grapple thickness and some cardboard to get the outer dimensions correct. My goal was to load the trailer with it and then be able to unload and stack in the barn without any hand work if possible. I also determined the center of mass and placed weight on the pallets for the grapple plus hay to see how the tractor handled. I discovered smaller was better. The grapple also enabled me to offer the service of loading folks trailers.

Someday I may get the small accumulator they offer to speed up my field work.

Last edited: