Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #11  
You can always rent the big machines to bang out the heavy duty work. I think a mid size tractor is the way to go for 90 acres.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer
What, in your opinion, is "mid size" and are there serious drawbacks (fuel usage, turning radius, etc.) to getting one in the 75-90 HP (Kubota M8540/9540) range? I'm thinking of this with the inevitability in the future of having to cut and bale hay. I'm also told I would also appreciate the extra PTO oomph? With such a machine I recognize the need for a smaller, used (30 hp) machine.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer
LarryRB,
Close neighbors we probably are as I'm in south-central Worcester county near the CT border. You're right about the rocky soil. Your experience in this geography is especially welcome. Thanks for the R4 tire tip.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #14  
I'd go by the 80/20 rule.
Buy enough tractor for 80% of the work, hire someone in (with excavator, dozer, whatever) for the 20% that the tractor either can't do or would take too long to do (efficiency issue).

Don't over invest in equipment for extra capability that will hardly be used, MUCH better to rent that capability only when you need it.

I know that area reasonably well, Blackstone Valley anyway - Uxbridge and surrounding towns. Sure, rocks all the way to RI - CT too (-:

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #15  
you might look into the Kubota M59. I've got it, love it, it would be perfect for what you describe - the digging, and I can outlift most skidsteers, and can run many skidsteer attachments. While still having a 3pt option for running tractor stuff.

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #16  
My dad has a 400 acre farm and our biggest tractor is 80hp. I'd look at the 60hp range for your 90 acres. I farm about that in VA now and my 5740C Montana tractor does everything I need it to do. Fuel cost is better than the 80-90hp too with the 60hp range. It will handle the equipment. I put up about 300 round bales of hay and do some bush hogging. Look for a local dealer and start testing tractors out. Some will say buy used. I looked and the used market seemed high. I bought new with a 3 year warranty and great financing. There are lots of good tractors on the market. My personal picks were the Kubota or Montana. Only dealers I really had in the area were Deere, Kubota and Montana, although we just got a McCormick dealer who sales some of the same tractors as Montana. I didn't like the 3 cylinder deere engine or the price. I've heard good things about Mahindra, Kioti, and I love my Montana. Just for price comparison the Deere was about 8-10K more than my Montana, the comparable Kubota was about 5K-8k more. I grew up with Deere and Case. I like my Montana better, but i'm also comparing a 75-85 model deer and 88 model case to a brand new tractor.

Good Luck, sounds like your doing your research...

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #17  
...I've just purchased a 90 acre farm and need a versatile machine to do a number of things. Although I do have lawn and hayfields, I don't need finish mowing, haying or baling. What I do need is snowplow/throwing, tall, heavy brush clearing, including thick saplings, deep digging (9'+) and some field grading for horse pastures and corral, but not for planting. I had spent most of my time concentrating on compact tractors (Kubota and New Holland 45-60 HP range -- those makes only because there are local dealers to my central Massachusetts location). A New Holland dealer suggested I give the skid steers a look (LS 180), so now I'm a confused newbie starting from scratch. A little help, please.

I can't imagine farming with a skid steer; how would you tow a wagon? I always figured that Skids were best at sidewalks, basements, tight quarters. For open areas I don't think there should be any question that a tractor is a more versatile machine.:confused:

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #18  
Things are really slipping around here . . . it's obvious to me that you need both a tractor and a skidsteer and probably an excavator.

Go ahead - you have our permission. ;)

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #19  
If you need for burying brush is just one time, you might want to get it done by a bulldozer. Much faster and cheaper than buying a backhoe. If you need to dig periodically, the larger CUTs can take a 9 footer, and most manufacturers offer them, as well as third-party companies like Woods, Bush Hog, and Rhino, among others.

Good luck, enjoy your shopping, and when you get that new tractor - we want pictures!!

/ Compact Tractor vs Skid Steer #20  
I have 120 acres of woods and fields. I own 2 skidsteers and two tractors. While the tractors probably get used more due to having to cut my 20+ acres of grass....I don't think I could do without my skidsteers. Before I go much further I will say that both tractors were purchased with loaders and they were both removed as soon as I purchased the skidsteers. A loader on a tractor is a clumsy beast compared to a skidsteer. Especially if any of your work will be in the woods. Also, digging with a loader is a joke compared to using a skidsteer. You will be amazed at the things you will use a skidsteer for if you have one. If it weren't for cutting grass....I would get rid of the tractors.
WW