Comparative Question

/ Comparative Question #1  

richh

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HST with loader
just looked at a L4610 today. hyd gpm. is 9.6, gpm for p/s is 4.8. loader can lift 1875 lbs. at center, breakout force is 3055 lbs.hope this helps!!!

/ Comparative Question #2  
The JD 4600 loader is rated at 2300 lbs and flow is 15.3, but I seem to remember a post that mentioned that JD rates it's loader lift at pins (W/O BUCKET). This would probably put it about even with the 4610? How many of you have the need to pull your bucket and go lift something? I guess that would make sense if you had a fork attachement that replaced the bucket. Or is it just of case of making it difficult to compare apples (green ones) and oranges?

del

[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Comparative Question #3  
Kubota has now started listing the lift capacity at the pins to be the same as JD on their new loaders. The increase is significant. For instance the loader is rated at 2205# bucket center at full lift height or 2580# at pivot pins. The lift capacity for both is even more at the center lift points (3745# breakout).

/ Comparative Question #4  
Kind of like the horsepower business...used to be no one knew (or cared) what the gross or net hp was, just the pto hp. I never used to hear anything but PTO hp when such info was bantered back and forth. So if you have an "old" tractor to sell, you have to go dig up the "gross" hp to be competitive!
What's next? Hmmm...how about loader lift capability generated in the lift cylinder! Look Ma I've got a 4000 lb loader!

/ Comparative Question #5  
Del, now you've done it! They were looking for an angle like that...

Mark

/ Comparative Question #6  
Re: PTO Horsepower

Used to be that people bought tractors to use the PTO and the HP really mattered if you were running a bailer or other high HP attachments. Must be 50% of tractors being sold never have anything hooked to the PTO for their entire life other than a mower or other small attachments which are not ground engaging which have minimal requirements anyway.

As my Dad said 25 HP on many of the new tractors is not the same as 25 HP on the old tractors with regard to the work they tractor will actually perform. Try it - hook a 12 ft wide 2000# disk with the disks cut way out and take off with a hydrostatic transmission and see how fast you can go. That didn't take any PTO HP did it? But it did take traction and net HP. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Comparative Question #7  

That is largely due to the increased hp-to-weight ratio, I think. It used to be that a 30 hp tractor weighed 5 or 6 thousand pounds. Nowadays, most 30 hp compact utility tractors weigh less than half that. You just can't get much traction at those lighter weights.

Mark

/ Comparative Question #8  

Actually he was setting on a 45HP PTO John Deere that weighs 8000# and saying it didn't pull as hard as his 1942 25 HP Farmall. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I don't think he has ever seen a Kubota. When he comes to see me this week end, he will probably get his first look at a tractor that is not Green. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Comparative Question #9  
I think specifying lift capacity at pivot pins makes it easier to compare apples to apples in loaders because it is independent of bucket type, weight, and size. What we are really looking for here is a relative metric to compare tractors that is still somewhat useful in real life. The fact is that none of us (the sane ones, anyhow) will check to see if we have 2205 pounds vs 2580 pounds in the bucket. When it comes to actual day-to-day use the load is either too heavy or it's not.

/ Comparative Question #10  
Great thought JeffM, I agree that the manufacturers should set this as their standard, and then post the weights of the various buckets and front attachments. From that you could get a true idea of capability. If you have a certain task at hand (repeatedly carrying an x number of pound object it would help. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif