Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Looking within the next year to upgrade to a cab tractor in the 70hp range. I run a Vermeer rebel roller and plan to be doing some custom haying, fertilizer spreading, and general work around our 170 acres. I will want a FEL and must have mfwd. Got quotes of $36000 and $37000 on the Mahindra and Montana. As I configure the deere without a loader I get $46000, if the FEL is another $4000 that puts me to $50000. Considering at best a 18% discount my price would be $41000.
The TYM/Montana use a deere engine coupled with a 16x16 tranny. The Mahindra also use the 16x16 tranny with their 72 hp?? 7520 engine. The tranny choices on the deere are 9x, 12x, and 24x. The 24x would add another $500 to $1000. Weight is close to 6300 lbs for both. I lose about 5 pto hp on the deere.
Deere does not give a 3pt lift capacity. The Mahindra/TYM/Montana is around 4300 lbs. I cannot find a wheelbase on the Mahindra/TYM/Montana nor a overall length on the deere. However looking at the 2 tractors they seem very close to the same in size.
I currently use a Mahindra 6000 4x4 (with good, not excellent but good, results) and it does all I need to do so I can't justify any bigger tractor than it would take to maintain around 60 pto hp with the air on.
Are there any other facts I am overlooking? Can anyone provide the 3pt lift capacity?
As of now the only plus I can see by going with the deere is a 24x tranny, and I believe the 16x or even the 12x would suit my needs.

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #2  
According to the JD Ag page info for the 5025 series, the 3PH capacity is rated at 3374 lbs @ 24" behind the lift balls for ALL tractors. Be sure other tractors you are comparing are also listing the more realistic 24" behind the lift balls number.

Note that when looking for detailed information on the 5025 series of tractors, be sure to start with Deere's Ag web page to get to the 5025 series tractor info: 5025 Series Detailed Info

For reasons that do not make sense to me, if you start with Deere's residential or commercial web pages and follow the links to the 5025 series tractor pages, you get far, far less information than if you start from the Ag pages.

If you start from Deere's Ag pages, they have a large amount of info available on the 5025 (and other) series tractors, many times complete with product photos. Be aware that to get at that information, you'll need to follow a lot of links that pop up secondary windows with the detailed information and pictures. Also, assuming you haven't done it already, go ahead and request product literature on the 5025 series tractors right from the Ag web pages. Deere will happily send the 5025 series brochure directly to you.

After reading your post, I am confused as to just how much HP you are looking for. Are you using consistent engine or PTO HP ratings? At one point you say you want to maintain 60 PTO HP with the AC on. The 5325 is only rated at 55 PTO HP. The 5425 is rated at 65 PTO HP and the 5525 is rated at 75 PTO HP. I do not believe any of those numbers make any allowance for running with the AC on.

I also wanted to point out that the 5225 and 5325 have the same hydraulic flow rates of 5.9 gpm steering, 13.5 gpm implement, and 19.4 gpm total. The 5425 and 5525 step up to 6.6 gpm steering, 18.4 gpm implement, and 25 gpm total. If you are looking for a better FEL tractor, stepping up to a 5425 or 5525 makes a large difference in hydraulic flow rates.

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #3  
Some additional links to more information on the 5025 series:

Stoneham's 5025 Series Info (HTML)

Stoneham's 5025 Series Info (PDF)

These links are to the Stoneham's web site. They have gone to the trouble of consolidating much, if not all, of Deere's web site info plus additional data into a single HTML page or a PDF file on the 5025 series.

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra
I was comparing comparable size tractors more than anything. The 5425 is a little more tractor, but may well be more what I'm looking for. Really I wanted to stay as small as I could considering I only roll 4x4 rolls and the geography here in SE Ky. The rebel baler is supposed to be able to roll with 40hp. Im doing it now with 59hp and no problems (50 pto), but that doesn't allow for running the air. Weight will be close to the same.
What I'm really looking for is why I should spend the atleast $5000 more for the deere.

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What I'm really looking for is why I should spend the atleast $5000 more for the deere.

American by birth, Union by choice!
Proud to be a union laborer!
)</font>

I can think of one reason.

Surely you aren't telling me that the 25 series is made in the usa or that they are a union company?!?!?

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #7  
The 25 Series is assembled in the Augusta, GA factory. Stop by some time and see. The Montana is an LG (Lucky Gold Star) tractor made in S. Korea, and uncrated in Springdale, AR by JB Hunt trucking company. TYM (Tong Yang Molson) is another Korean tractor. I just left Deere, and at that time TYM could only use the Deere engine in tractors that stayed in Korea, not in tractors that come here. I'll have to look at the Montana to see whose engine is in that one. I'm not sure the product support will be there for those tractors. I know Deere's support will be there. When you're finsihed with the tractors, you'll more than get your $5000 back in resale.

That certainly makes it a different ballgame. I was under the impression that all their tractors were assembled overseas now? I knew they had some ties with the UAW in distribution, etc..
As for the TYM/Montana/Mahindra, I more than likely would go with the Mahindra. However Montana and TYM are advertising use of the deere engine here in the US. I'v e found a good Mahindra dealer and believe the support is there.
I would really like to support an american company and a union company if I can afford to.

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #9  
I just took early retirement from Deere. My last assignment was Export Manager, John Deere India. I went there in 2001 to set up Deere tractors to compete worldwide against Mahindra and others. You're right, the dealer makes all the difference. Some Mahindras are made in India, some they buy from TYM (lower hp) for the U.S. market. Mahindras are an older design than Deere, but not too bad. Better than some of the Chinese and Central European tractors. Augusta GA is a union factory.

/ Comparing 5325 mfwd to TYM/Montana/Mahindra #10  
Justifying the higher cost of the Deere is something hard to quantify. There is initial cost, perceived value, quality, resale value, longevity, and, most importantly, support and service.

All I can give you is my personal experience with one John Deere tractor. I still have the 1973 John Deere 1020 utility tractor with FEL my Dad bought. It has lead a relatively sheltered life with only 2750 original hours on it, but it has had zero major repairs. Sure, there have been lots of little things over the years like starters, mufflers, batteries, etc. But those things would need replacement on anything over 30 years old.

A couple years ago I did have to take it to a dealer for what I thought might be a hydraulic pump replacement, which would have been expensive. Turns out, the problem was caused by a worn coupler between the front of the engine and the pump. The total repair bill was around $200.

My point is that even though the tractor is 33 years old, there are still parts and supplies available for it from John Deere. I even did some minor refurbishing a couple years ago and was able to buy new transmission shift pattern decals and rubber shift lever boots with no problem at all.

I guess one major reason to pay a premium for a John Deere tractor is that you'll more than likely be able to get parts for it 30+ years from now. There are no guarantees on company longevity these days, but John Deere has been around for a very long time and I don't see them going under or being bought out any time soon.

Me, I'd have no problem justifying the extra cost of a 5025 series with their fantastic cab, especially considering your main desire to get a cab tractor. But that's me. And, by the way, I'd also go right for the the 5525. No doubt. I'd much rather have that extra PTO HP available and not use it than save a few thousand dollars in initial cost and end up being short on power later. The size difference between the 5225/5325 and 5425/5525 is not enough to worry about in my opinion. I'd say you'd have to jump up a whole class of tractor, to the 6020 series, for there to be a significant size difference.