Comparing air powered grease gun types

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #1  

MoreCowbell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
For a while I've been wanting to get an air powered grease gun. I'm wondering which type is more practical: single shot or continuous flow. Although the single shot requires repeated trigger pulls, does it have the benefit of being able to better gauge how much grease you are pumping? Also, is it more reliable than the continuous flow? I'm tempted to think that the single shot has to be simpler in design and perhaps more reliable (single piston vs. rotating pump impeller maybe?)

Next week Sears is having a sale on their continuous flow model (Craftsman Club discount) which brings it down to the price of their single shot model so I figure now is a good time to pull the trigger (pun intended) :D. I've never used an air powered gun before so any input is welcome. Thanks!

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #2  
can we toss in the cordless versions also?

been an item on my want to buy list for a while .... just never gotten around to it.

any HF users out there want to weigh in?

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #3  
I just purched the new Milwaukee 12vt grease gun at empire farm days. see link ://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=2446-21XC&CategoryName=SC%3a+M12+Cordless+System

I am very impressed with how this gun works. It primes very easy which has been my problem with air guns. It has great pressure and works very well at filling tough fittings. It was recommended by two vender that sell this gun as well as Lincoln and Alemite痴

If you search the internet you will see the can get a free extra battery. It comes with a 5 year warrantee which is hard to beat. It makes at times a not fun job fun. Thanks John

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #4  
I have an older air-powered single shot - think it's a Coleman brand ...

Works fine .... provided I keep it loaded with grease ...

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #6  
I will second the vote for the Milwaukee M12 cordless battery powered grease gun. Fantastic quality, very powerful pressure, no leakage, awesome battery.

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #7  
I will have to try the battery ones

continuous sir= heck of a mess in my case

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #8  
can we toss in the cordless versions also?

been an item on my want to buy list for a while .... just never gotten around to it.

any HF users out there want to weigh in?

I thought I would upgrade to a pneumatic grease gun. I purchased
one at HF, but have not been impressed. Once I get it primmed,
and bleed the air, it works fine for awhile. However, I spend more
time bleeding the gun than actual use. Not only do I have to bleed it
between uses, I also periodically need to prime during use (between
zerks). My old mechanical gun is more reliable for me. Now, a better
quality gun may be more reliable, and which I would be interested in
hearing about. :thumbsup:

Tim

/ Comparing air powered grease gun types #9  
For a while I've been wanting to get an air powered grease gun. I'm wondering which type is more practical: single shot or continuous flow. Although the single shot requires repeated trigger pulls, does it have the benefit of being able to better gauge how much grease you are pumping? Also, is it more reliable than the continuous flow? I'm tempted to think that the single shot has to be simpler in design and perhaps more reliable (single piston vs. rotating pump impeller maybe?)

Next week Sears is having a sale on their continuous flow model (Craftsman Club discount) which brings it down to the price of their single shot model so I figure now is a good time to pull the trigger (pun intended) :D. I've never used an air powered gun before so any input is welcome. Thanks!

I use a Lincoln Air powered grease gun daily. I was pretty sceptical when I bought it, as I have had other air operated guns that worked for a short time and then blew seals or just wouldn't prime.

I've run about 4 cases of grease thru it since May and it's been pretty reliable. purchased it at Northern Tool in Raleigh.

Cowbell, if you'd like to check it out, I'm not far from you ( Archer Lodge area )

I've also used a "Legacy" brand 12v battery powered gun, actually used 2 of them, burned out one ( literally ) after about a year, the second I just stopped using as keeping the batteries charged wasn't easy ( my service van doesn't like added power draw, and it kills the battery on the van if I don't keep the van running while charging )