Compost for Garden

/ Compost for Garden #31  
Unfortunately, there is really no practical way to control grasshoppers apparently. Our county agent has a regular column in the local newspaper and last year, he described a number of concoctions for killing them, but the bottom line was that you can kill the ones you apply it directly to but there'll be a new bunch back tomorrow.

And while I make no pretenses of being a genuine "organic" gardener, I don't use any chemicals or insecticides on my vegetable garden. I figure seed's cheap; plant enough for us, family, neighbors, and the bugs. Hopefully, it'll be like last year; they destroyed the garden early, but by that time my wife had canned 19 cases of vegetables and filled both freezers, in addition to what we gave everyone else.

And Mark, I've just got a little 50' long by about 4' wide strip of blackberries in the back yard, separate from the garden. And I learned from the county agent that there are several varieties of domestic blackberries, and I don't even know which variety I have. We have quite a few of the wild ones along the road and on the Corp of Engineers property around the lake that anyone can pick, but the ones in my yard make berries that are two to three times as big as the wild ones, and it seems, to me at least, a little juicier. I usually get about 50 quarts a year off my little patch, and they'll be through producing about the middle of June. They would probably produce a lot more if I hand pruned them after they quit producing, but I've never done that; I just mow them down with the brush hog, then apply a granular fertilizer, and water it in.

Bird

/ Compost for Garden #32  
Thanks for the info, Bird! That's good to know. I never thought about it before, but I think I'm going to plant some blackberries! I can just taste the cobblers now... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ Compost for Garden #33  
Mark, you made me curious, so I had to pull the sheet out of the file cabinet and it lists 13 varieties of blackberries that are suitable for growing in Texas (goodness knows how many total there may be). To get some started, you need to buy commercially, or find someone who has them and dig up "1/4" to 1/2" diameter roots cut in 4 to 6" lengths" in January or February (in Texas) and plant them in February or March (and keep them moist from the time you dig them up until you plant them).

And it works; 2 or 3 years ago, I dug up some of my roots and gave them to a neighbor to start him a patch.

I do like the blackberry cobblers, and blackberry jelly is my favorite jelly./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Compost for Garden #34  
Bird -

The blackberries will not be ready for another 4-6 weeks in N. Texas. Thanks for the warning about the grasshoppers. I haven't seen them yet in North Texas. Wen and I will have to watch for them. I have a friend who has several Guinea around his farm house that helped control the grasshoppers last year (and they make great watch dogs). If the grasshoppers are worse this year than last year they may eat the Guineas.

/ Compost for Garden #35  
Guys,Guys,Guys,

Many nutritionists lately have been raving about the healthy effects of "BLUE" berries. Will they grow in Texas? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Jim "Blue" inMI

/ Compost for Garden
Nope, No BLUE tractors or BLUE berries around here. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Compost for Garden
Grasshoppers not back here yet (Weatherford, TX). There are baits with sevin, but they are hard on animals. Got an organic grasshopper bait that doesn't hur birds or animals and stops the grasshoppers growth pattern. After baiting for fire ants and grasshoppers, it is going to be a poor profit year again. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Also hasn't rained here in 10 days, but the weather forcasters are calling for rain at the middle of the week until the weekend! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Hope it drowns the grasshoppers.

/ Compost for Garden #38  
My grandparents had Guineas when I was just a little feller, and I'd like to have some myself, but I'd want them to be free ranging; not penned, and I gave up on that idea because the neighbors behind us had several when we bought this place; until the coyotes ate all of them./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Compost for Garden #39  
JimBinMi, according to some very abbreviated information from Texas A&M, "Rabbiteye blueberries" are gaining in popularity in the south, but require a very specific soil ph. I've never seen any in my part of the country, so don't know whether they exist or not down here.

Bird

/ Compost for Garden #40  
I don't know a lot about the propagation and spread of grasshoppers. They were thick at my brother-in-law's place about 4 miles from here two weeks ago, but I hadn't noticed more than a few around my place until yesterday. Most of them are about a half inch long right now, but as you know, they eat a lot and grow fast./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif My green beans look great and have just starting producing well, but my brother-in-law told me yesterday that the grasshoppers have already eaten all the leaves off his. And it's really dry here, too. I watered the garden a bit yesterday afternoon, but wonder whether I'm just wasting water.

Bird