Compression Release Cable broke on Christmas Day

/ Compression Release Cable broke on Christmas Day #1  

bmaverick

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2610 ■YANMAR GURU■ EXTRAORDINAIRE
Oh how merry I was when it happened. :rolleyes:

So, I didn't have any extra bike cables that I could have easily cobbled together to make a really robust one, but I did have loctite and several shrink tubes. :p

Plus, I added some 3-in-1 oil to ensure this isn't going to bind in the sleeve when it's very cold out.

DSCF7501md.jpg

DSCF7504md.jpg

DSCF7506md.jpg

/ Compression Release Cable broke on Christmas Day #2  
You guys with the delicate modern tractors! :D

My Yanmars have steel rods for that, #24 in this Hoye diagram.

Actually, good save. I'm glad you could get it back in service. :)

/ Compression Release Cable broke on Christmas Day
You guys with the delicate modern tractors! :D

My Yanmars have steel rods for that, #24 in this Hoye diagram.

Actually, good save. I'm glad you could get it back in service. :)

Well, that is a rod, for the throttle. :laughing: Not for the decompression/compression cable.

DECOMP CABLE ASSEMBLY - Code: HDC-4145
DECOMP CABLE ASSEMBLY -: Yanmar Tractor Parts

It broke just behind the panel on the harden plastic sleeve right where the metal crimp to the extended so-called bike brake cable type comes into it.

Lesson to learn. When folks here say, TURN the decompression cable, FIRST and FOREMOST, make sure your tractor is on that is suppose to turn and NOT the push/pull type. I tried turning mine and believe the plastic became weakened before I realized it was a push/pull type. Fast forward 6 years, dang it's been that long, it finally broke. :eek:

Money is tight at the moment. Weddings, Christmas and such. My repair should work well for a few months or years, I'll probably replace it in warmer weather.

/ Compression Release Cable broke on Christmas Day #4  
   / Compression Release Cable broke on Christmas Day
No really, that #24 is the decompression pull rod in the YM186D. Here's the similar linkage in the YM240, parts 30~37 in this Hoye diagram. This one takes a quarter turn to release the compression.

Sooooo, that's the hand turn type. :duh:

That's the one NOT to use on a YM2500 or YM2610 that I'm aware of. Glad to avoid doing that again. :D