Compressor for a shop

/ Compressor for a shop #21  
Only set the compressor for the pressure you need. Don't get something compressing to 175psi if you only need 100psi. Lots of wasted energy & CFM doing unnecessary work.
I'm not sure what type of work you do with your air but I "need" 80 psi for my truck tires and if the take is at 100 psi it will be slllloooooowwwww to get meaningful amounts of pressure into the tires because of the small percentage of pressure differential/line friction/valve restrictions. ~125 seems to be as low as I want to do work with for most tasks but I prefer higher so tweak the settings a bit to try to keep it 125+. I'd love a 60 gallon 175 unit, some day, I commonly run out of air with my 20 gal 5.5 cfm IR even though I otherwise love that compressor compared to the old dewalt 10 gallon I'd run for the 12 previous years:ROFLMAO:

One thing I learned after I went to the IR was how much you can do with pneumatics, it's way more than just for nailguns.

/ Compressor for a shop #22  
I simply added a power switch with pilot light by the man door, that turns system on when needed. Then added a manual shut off valve at tank next to the air dryer. I personally have no need to keep system pressurized so i dont. If i know i will be needing air, i simply flip on switch as i enter building.

/ Compressor for a shop #23  
I like my 80 gal dewalt compressor. It runs my plasma table well and anything else I request of it. I have it plumbed to a filter board that can do dry or oiled air. I like the pex ideas I've been seeing, I will be going that route to plumb the metal and wood shops though. Thanks guys!

/ Compressor for a shop #24  
It is vitally important to drain the Receiver often. Not a pleasant thought of having this bomb explode as many have due to corrosion. Check on Google for live explosions.
Sadly one cannot purchase replacement tanks even from Campbell Hausfield.
An upright takes less room, CFM's are important and are rated at 100 PSI. Spray guns require 90. Some receivers (Pigs) are dated on a support leg and should be destroyed after expiry date.
A separate outdoor enclosure and auto drain are very desirable as they are noisy.

/ Compressor for a shop #25  
What kind of PEX fittings and air dryer/cooler setups are you guys running?

/ Compressor for a shop #26  
I have been happy with this one, bit on the small side but quiet.

1651504446540.png

/ Compressor for a shop #27  
I plumbed my shop all the way around with a stub out every 20’ or one per wall, per room, with an adjustable pressure gauge at each outlet. I run 100 psi then adjust the pressure for each tool at the outlets. Each outlet has a quick connect for the hose. I put a coil flex hose on each.
I installed a 90 gal upright, stationary compressor, by locking bolts with vibration absorbing foot pads to the concrete floor, it is noisy when it runs inside. The shop has heat and air conditioning.
The walls and ceilings are sheeted with 10’ flake board, OSB, over the piping, then painted white.

/ Compressor for a shop #28  
I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for setting up an air compressor in a new shop I am doing. I have always used "portable" type compressors with 150-200psi capacity. I do not know a lot about compressors but do have need to be able to fill up large tractor and front end loader type tires with air. I also use "a lot" of air to blow out swather heads and other debris from equipment after field work and my existing compressors run out of air faster than I need so I have to wait for the tank to re fill. Other than that, the smaller portable type compressors usually do fine. What is the difference between two stage compressors and any other advise or experience would be welcomed. I am thinking I would pipe some outlets throughout the shop to be able to hook into different areas with hoses depending on where I am working on the equipment. Not long runs, but maybe 50 feet or so. Thanks in advance for advise.

/ Compressor for a shop #29  
I had an upright 6hp Devillbiss oilfree for a lot of years. Rebuilt the compressor head twice. Finally the conecting rods from the motor drive fried and i had to discard the compressor and motor. Still had a 60 gal tank to use. Bought a portable floor model Harbor Fright oilfree 5hp unit. Took the unregulated 150psi output to the old tank. Now I have the small 5 or 6 gallon regulated reserve tank (with compressor) sitting on top of the 60 gal main. I regulate into the tank @ 125 psi to stay within the tank specs. Works fine using a 1/2 inch impact tool. Haven't done any spraying yet.

/ Compressor for a shop #30  
Many good comments so I won't add much. I have had many body shops over the years. Now I am a 2 man show. Definitely get a two stage 175 psi and regulate it down. Do not get a 5hp, go with a 7.5hp. It will be the last one you buy. I run the pipe "at least 50ft" before I put a water separator on it, gives the moisture time to condense, more if possible. Refrigerated dryers are best but expensive. I have good luck with Dessicant dryers before the air hose connection. Good luck