Compressor oil

/ Compressor oil #1  

acohen100

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Can you use any straight 30 wt. oil for an air compressor? I have been buying "compressor oil" but wanted to switch to a synthetic and they do not list the weight on any of the bottles.

/ Compressor oil #2  
In my opinion, you could use almost any 30 weight synthetic oil. Many years ago, I simply used 30 weight motor oil, but at least the newer compressors (mine is just over 3 years old) have manuals that specify a 30 weight synthetic. Of course it costs a little more, but I use Coleman Powermate Compressor oil from Northern Tool, and it does not say on the container that it's 30 weight or synthetic.:confused: I don't understand why they don't put that on the container. However, the container does have an "800" number on it, so I called that number some time ago and was told that it is 30 weight synthetic. I've changed the oil in my compressor once a year even though the old oil doesn't really appear to be dirty, and I've not needed to add any between changes, so it really isn't all that expensive for me.

/ Compressor oil #3  
Probably the easiest synthetic compressor oil to find is sold by Ingersoll Rand. Stop by any local TSC (Tractor Supply) and many big box hardware stores. It's called All Season T30 Select. It's actually a multiviscosity Diester synthetic oil, ISO viscosity grade 68/150, SAE grade 20W/40. I have been running this oil in my compressors for years without failure. My Kohler powered IR compressor in my mobile service truck has over 4,000 hours on the compressor head and still pumps out as much air as it did when it was new 10 years ago.

All Season Select

all_season_select.jpg

/ Compressor oil
Thanks guys. I am a little bummed because my compressor somehow ran out of oil and I killed it - seized up. I had changed the oil less than 6 months ago so I was thinking synthetic may hold up better...unless there was a leak. It was less than 2 years old and used very infrequently. Bummers. Last thing I wanted to do was buy a new compressor.

/ Compressor oil #5  
What kind of compressor was it, how often did you check the oil, and how did you check it? I ask for a simple reason. When I was working on air tools, my brother brought me a DeVibiss compressor that was beyond help. Many of the compressors, especially DeVilbiss aluminum ones, are pretty decent compressors if they're kept full of oil. Some have a very shallow crankcase and you can remove the fill plug and see oil that appears close enough to the top, and yet burn up the compressor. Those type need the oil filled right up to the point of overflowing.

/ Compressor oil #6  
Thanks guys. I am a little bummed because my compressor somehow ran out of oil and I killed it - seized up. I had changed the oil less than 6 months ago so I was thinking synthetic may hold up better...unless there was a leak. It was less than 2 years old and used very infrequently. Bummers. Last thing I wanted to do was buy a new compressor.

Did your's not have a dipstick or a sight glass? Bummer about the siezeup.

soundguy

/ Compressor oil
It was a small Makita 4.5 gal. Nice compressor. Really quiet. It had a sight glass but I just never anticipated that it could consume that much oil. I never checked it regularly though. It had been about 6 months since I filled it with light use since then.

/ Compressor oil #8  
It was a small Makita 4.5 gal. Nice compressor. Really quiet. It had a sight glass but I just never anticipated that it could consume that much oil. I never checked it regularly though. It had been about 6 months since I filled it with light use since then.

That's suprising to me because I've been using air-compressors for many years and just very seldom add any oil to a crankcase.

/ Compressor oil #9  
Same here.. I just scrapped our upright 60g CH compressor.. it was a 84 model and just now finally died...

soundguy

/ Compressor oil #10  
You must have a leak in it for it to lose oil like that.
I'm ashamed to say I've had an Ingersoll Rand that I never changed the oil in for over 5 years, but it never was very low! I changed it out when I realized how long it was, but still, it never went down much at all.