Computer Rebate Ripp-off

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off #11  
Look carefully at all incoming mail too. They often make the check out of one piece of sealed toilet tissue which ends up making one think it is some solicitation instead of a check! They're hoping you tear it up or toss it so they can keep the money.

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off
Look carefully at all incoming mail too. They often make the check out of one piece of sealed toilet tissue which ends up making one think it is some solicitation instead of a check! They're hoping you tear it up or toss it so they can keep the money.

I was just thinking that so I am going thru some back channels at HP.

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off #13  
I have no problems with rebates. Staples takes quite a while to get and Menards has a quick accurate turnaround. For me, the problem with Menards is I get so much free stuff it's hard to keep track of. I have a hard time passing by a 100% rebate on 25' tape measures or levels or squares or tools. I would have to be 200 years old to use it all up.

I would suggest to photocopy every rebate sent in. I have a folder where every rebate goes in, and when i receive it I dutifully go into the file and pull it out when completed.

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off #14  
I never buy based on rebates, as I'm usually losing or forgetting to send it in. And if I do send one in, I'm liable to forget about it and never realize if I get hosed.

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off #15  
I think one of the biggest mail in rippoffs are for cell phones. Years back I sighed Verizon for another two years and the wife and I got nice phones. I got my rebate back. She didn't.. well not without a great hassel. Fortunately we had proof it was sent in. Six months later the rebate arrived. Make copies and document every call. They play the odds you will wait too late. -kid

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off #17  
I will go for "at the register" rebates.
I avoid mail-in rebates with a passion.

I had a car shipped to me.
The shipping company gave me a price, then said I would get something like a 10% discount... whatever...
Anyway, then they charged me for 100% of the cost, and told me that I would get my discount after filling out a review.

Well, the pickup and delivery was about a week late, and I wasn't happy about the idea of tying the rebate to the review... so I wrote that in the review.

Needless to say, I never received the discount/rebate.

/ Computer Rebate Ripp-off #18  
We keep records and get all our rebates because I don't forget--but the whole "rebate" thing is getting old with me. I'm tired of playing that game and just gimme the lower price or I'll go elsewhere where I can get the best price I can up front.

Plus, when you buy something that has a rebate attached you pay sales tax based on the original, pre-rebate price. So the rebate is somewhat less that you think. Last month I bought an electric razor at a major member club retailer for $79.99 after the $20 "rebate" was subtracted at the register. Plus there was an additional $10 mail-in rebate attached that you had to send in. So I paid sales tax on $99.99.

After I got home I thought about it and decided I've had enough and the jig is up. I returned the razor and found a better deal mail order. Let them figure it out.