Computer scanner help requested..

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #11  
Do you have the original Excel and Word files?
If so, that will significantly reduce your work.

Since you were planning to scan and convert to a .pdf, you must have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader) Standard or Professional or another program that can create .pdf's or convert existing files as BillG suggested. I've used PDF995. It does work nice but opens up your browser for a sales pitch every time you print to pdf. If you plan on doing much of this kind of thing, it's worth buying the full version or Adobe (get an older version off eBay). I use Adobe Acrobat 7.0 (upgraded from 5.0).

If you have Acrobat, and it's been installed correctly, you can print, or select the file or files and convert ( select a file, right click and you'll see the Adobe commands.

Printing directly to pdf will result in a much higher quality and smaller file size then you can do by scanning hard copies.

Adobe is pretty intuitive. If you have it and need help, send me a PM. PDF995 is also pretty easy to use (I've printed to it, but don't know if it can convert and combine)...as written above, it continuously opens your browser to the sales page (pain in the butt).

If you do not have the original Excell and Word files, and you must scan, select the highest quality you can get for printing to .pdf. You can delete the scanned images once you've printed or converted to pdf. You cannot make a low quality scan better after the fact. The .Tiff format will give you a high quality. Converting to another image format (.jpg, for example) will likely lower the quality. BTW, in my experience, once converted to pdf, a large (in kb) image file results in a relatively small (in kb) pdf file, even though it looks as good as the original image.

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #12  
thatguy said:
I am trying to scan a manual that we created at work in excel and word so it can be converted and combined into one PDF file later on.

I understand the Excel and Word to PDF part, but why do you need to scan anything -- that middle step is not needed.

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #13  
My Epson all in one printer does exactly what you are looking for. When you scan with Epson during the scan process you can save it as a .pdf file. Then you can select high quality .PDF, standard Quality .pdf low Quality .pdf

What I do is jsut print the MS Word document or Excel onto paper, I put the printed paper in my epjon injet all in one and save it as a .pdf file. once you select .pdf file after you have scanned the first page it will ask you if you want to add another page, I jsut say "yes" and it will tell you to insert the new page then hit the scan button.

I have been very careful to keep my the glass in my all in one free of anything sticky, even when I am making photo copies. As long as you have a nice clear screen they come out great as .pdf files. Hope this hels you.

I love my Epson printers and will never go back to Hp. I was a die ahrd HP printer customer for eyars but now thier stuff is junk compated to the Epsons. Plus the quality of the ink itself on the Epson's are fantastic. I buy special injet printable vinyl lables PlanetLabel - White Matte Vinyl Inkjet Labels - Bottle Labels that once they go through the Epson injet printers the label is waterproof (and olive oil proof). Even without the special labels Epson ink even on paper is jsut about waterproof.

These labels are very cool. say you are making equipment and you need to make just a few warning labels to stick on the equipment, you can buy these balnks and print them up yourself (I have used both the HP and the epson printers on these vinyle labels and Epson printer gives superior results plus the extra thick paper/vinyl stock doens't jam in the epson printers like it does in the HP Printers.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't ay enough about these labels with the epson Printers. Say you were an electrician dong electrical boxes, you could print up custom made waterproof labels right on your injet printer. I ahve also boughten form onlinelabels.com but thier stock is not bright white like planet label. It is a dull white alomst like eggshell colored.

Well see ther is a lot you can do with an Epsn printer you can make .pdf files (trying to work my way back to the topic :) ) and also print waterproof vinyl labels. There is also another company I use Rippedsheets.com Custom Blank Laser Inkjet Labels Tags Magnets thier waterproof custom die cut for you blank label stock is also excellent.

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #14  
=BillG_in_TX]You don't need Acrobat. All you need is - pdf 995: create PDF documents easily for free

Bill, does PDF995 create files that have editable text? If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can use the "Touchup" text tool to make minor edits to text. Also Acrobat has some great tools for creating bookmarks and menus for easily managing huge documents. PDF995 is a good value since it's free, but I would also highly recommend the full Acrobat program for this and many other features.

Also, if you are working with illustrations in something other than PDF format, often the PNG format will save those illustrations in better resolution and much smaller files than JPEG. JPEG was designed for photos and works great for them. For illustrations in PowerPoint, consider the PNG format, particularly if there are not a lot of gradients.

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #15  
Gatorboy said:
I understand the Excel and Word to PDF part, but why do you need to scan anything -- that middle step is not needed.

I agree. If he has the original documents in Excel and Word, why does he need to scan anything? Excel and Word documents are completely compatible with each other. Why not just combine them electronically on-screen into one Word document the way he wants it to appear and then print it or convert it to PDF at that point? :confused:

/ Computer scanner help requested..
MossRoad said:
I agree. If he has the original documents in Excel and Word, why does he need to scan anything? Excel and Word documents are completely compatible with each other. Why not just combine them electronically on-screen into one Word document the way he wants it to appear and then print it or convert it to PDF at that point? :confused:

the reason I needed to scan them was the manual has screen shots that were done separately and then pasted (literally, not computerized paste) in the the finished product.. There are A LOT of screen shots.. Out of the first 25 or so pages, almost 20 pages had some sort screen shots in them..

After messing with it most of the morning a co-worker and I are going to just go back and redo the screen shots and paste them directly into the original Word and Excel files this time..

thanks

brian

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #17  
thatguy said:
the reason I needed to scan them was the manual has screen shots that were done separately and then pasted (literally, not computerized paste) in the the finished product.. There are A LOT of screen shots.. Out of the first 25 or so pages, almost 20 pages had some sort screen shots in them..

After messing with it most of the morning a co-worker and I are going to just go back and redo the screen shots and paste them directly into the original Word and Excel files this time..

thanks

brian

I was wondering about that. I figured you only had a paper copy instead of electronic copy. Re-doing screen shots will still be faster than scanning. Do you have a screen capture utlity or are you just going to use the printscreen functions of Windows? I would suggest Gadwin PrintScreen - Screen capture software . It works very well and is free.

/ Computer scanner help requested.. #18  
MossRoad said:
I was wondering about that. I figured you only had a paper copy instead of electronic copy. Re-doing screen shots will still be faster than scanning. Do you have a screen capture utlity or are you just going to use the printscreen functions of Windows? I would suggest Gadwin PrintScreen - Screen capture software . It works very well and is free.

Moss - Thanks for the link. That's a very handy utility, and customizable!

jinman said:
Bill, does PDF995 create files that have editable text? If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can use the "Touchup" text tool to make minor edits to text. Also Acrobat has some great tools for creating bookmarks and menus for easily managing huge documents. PDF995 is a good value since it's free, but I would also highly recommend the full Acrobat program for this and many other features.

Jim - I don't think it does have those features, but then again, he wasn't looking for them either. ;) I agree that Acrobat has more bells & whistles and the price reflects that. I'm a freeware freak.:D