Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal
Initially, I thought I would use anchor expy. It's more expensive, but cures faster. I think the faster curing time is why it's used by contractors. It's worth the extra cost not to make a second trip to install whatever is being mounted. If I had installed this where the concrete slab was only 4" to 5" thick, I would have used the epoxy. I like the idea about the teflon tape so they could be taken out later on.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #12  
If you need anything close full strength from the epoxy, do NOT do the tape thing. Epoxy is not very strong mechanically. What makes it hold anchor bolts so well is that it bonds to the steel and the concrete.

One way to demonstrate the weakness is to try cutting a bit of epoxy with your pocket knife...pretty easy.

OTOH...if you're just using the anchors to keep something from moving around, the tape trick sounds good.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #13  
I would not trust the anchors myself. Basket ball goals (hoops) take a lot of beating and vibration and if it fails it will come down in a hurry. You may want to protect yourself (physically and financially) with a strap welded to the I-beam behind. Did you consider just using the I-beam as an attachment point?

I was thinking of welding a brace to the vertical I-beam behind it, but after talking with the company that sold me the goal, decided against it.

If the concrete slab is thick enough enough to handle the load then it can support the goal using their retrofit mounting method. The anchor cement is about twice as strong (7,000psi verses 3500psi) as the concrete the slab.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #15  
Maybe I'm not understanding what you are doing but why wouldn't you just use Concrete expansion bolts? Similar the the link below

Wedge Anchor ~ Thunderstud® ~ Concrete fasteners for concrete ~ Concrete Fastening Systems

I have bought these at Lowes 5/8" I think is the biggest the sell

Once you drill the hole, drop the expansion bolt in, tighten the nut up, to get a good tight hold. Remove the nuts, the threaded bolt probably will stick up an inch or so. Then place your hoop frame plate through the threaded heads of the bolts. Then put the nuts back on and tigheten 'er down?

This way the plate will be flush with the floor? I read through the previous posts pretty quick, maybe I missed something.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #16  
Nice doors.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #17  
Never seen a hoop like that. All we ever had was a bicycle rim nailed to a tree.

Nice job I worked in the power plant industry and we used the epoxy on a lot of equip with no prob.

7mmrum said:
Maybe I'm not understanding what you are doing but why wouldn't you just use Concrete expansion bolts? Similar the the link below

Wedge Anchor ~ Thunderstud® ~ Concrete fasteners for concrete ~ Concrete Fastening Systems

I have bought these at Lowes 5/8" I think is the biggest the sell

Once you drill the hole, drop the expansion bolt in, tighten the nut up, to get a good tight hold. Remove the nuts, the threaded bolt probably will stick up an inch or so. Then place your hoop frame plate through the threaded heads of the bolts. Then put the nuts back on and tigheten 'er down?

This way the plate will be flush with the floor? I read through the previous posts pretty quick, maybe I missed something.

The plate is designed to be off the floor so you can level it out. There is nut on the bottom and top sides of the plate. Most concrete anchors are designed to hold a load directly against the floor. It's also hard to mount althread in most concrete anchors. In the end, I suppose either way would have worked.