Concrete project: will this work?

/ Concrete project: will this work? #51  
To me, it's a cosmetic issue. I had always planned to put some indoor/outdoor carpet on it anyway; guns and concrete don't mix. The only concern I would have is if it's causes excess cracking of the tabletop. With the rebar frame in there, I don't *think* it would crack and break.

Thanks,

Carpet sounds good. Or maybe a removable carpet mat so it is always dry when you use it. Those wrinkles won't cause cracks. How long will your range be for this?

/ Concrete project: will this work? #52  
How do you know what he "needs"? Perhaps he is going for a concave look where you are saying he "needs" a convex look? Doesn't really matter what he puts in there as long as the final product has the shape he wanted it to have.

He asked is why I replied with my answer. It appears to me from his photos he was trying to have his finished product with a rounded edge not an edge with 2 sharp corners. It matters only if he wants his final table to have rounded corners.

/ Concrete project: will this work? #53  
It actually matters more than you might think. Properly rounded edges will resist chipping. It looks obvious to me that the original intent was to provided a rounded edge for exactly this purpose, but the wrong kind of molding was used.

/ Concrete project: will this work?
I used something to make that corner, I guess it's a quarter round.

What should I use in place of the quarter round? Please use small words, I don't do wood beyond 2x4's, 4x4's etc.

You need a cove molding instead of the quarter round. Its the opposite shape of quarter round. Think backwards when making a pattern. This will make a nice roundover on your edges. Any box lumber yard will have it right next to the quarter round you bought. You will have to plane down both edges of the cove to make a full cove. A hand plane would work fine. Good luck with your project.

Great, five words in and you busted the "small words" rule all to heck!

Simple version: I went to HD, I looked in the crown molding/I forget what I called it/I forget what I asked for, got to the right place and picked out some stuff that was cheap.

Was it the "right" stuff? I have no clue. All I wanted was to break the 90 degree/crack inducing right edge. The granite rub brick (this thing: Marshalltown 6 in. x 3 in. 20-Grit Concrete Rub Brick-840-HD - The Home Depot) did what the crown molding (or whatever it is I got) didn't do.

Yea yea, I know exactly what you're thinking: I shoulda used smaller words in talking to this guy.......

Carpet sounds good. Or maybe a removable carpet mat so it is always dry when you use it. Those wrinkles won't cause cracks. How long will your range be for this?

Yes, exactly: a removable carpet piece that I cut to fit that will be stored in my shop/former orgy bar/Skeeter Pee Production Center/MEC/Reloading room when not being used.

Range is right at 110 yards right now as measured by GE and a laser range finder. It might grow though since the range is also my "borrow" pit. See the second pic in post #29.

Thanks,

Ok, I think we're all up to speed (even the "lost" ones, but I digress....) and so pics of yesterday's and today's progress:

Concrete blocks used as columns - anyone "lost" yet? - filled with concrete (and yes 1/2" rebar), solid as a rock and not at all "wobbly"! That was yesterday's work - no pics because of the downpour we had just as I was getting done.

Today, I added 4" solid blocks because most shooting benches are sized for 5'8" midgets (no offense to the 5'8" types out there), I'm 6'4", it sucks trying to shoot accurately while bent over in some torture device - but I digress again.

I had put the 4" concrete blocks on yesterday as a cap just to keep the rain off the freshly poured concrete in the concrete blocks cavities. One of them stuck and one of them sorta stuck, but I broke them all loose. Cleaned the tops, then used a concrete/construction adhesive to lay the 4" blocks on top.

Pics might help:

IMG_20141216_112324886Large_zps7ba8b1e2.jpg

IMG_20141216_112334560Large_zps76f7693e.jpg

The concrete blocks on top that are sideways are just there to add weight and keep the 4" solid blocks in place while the adhesive cures. Since its in the high '40s' here, I plan to let this sit until tomorrow, then use my forks to final-lift my tabletop into place, then use the adhesive to tie them into place.

In the first pic, you can see the level I used to check the blocks: The blocks have exactly the same levelness as the pad itself. Which is close to what someone recommended above about having a slight incline to let the water drain off. It rained a crapload last night - there is no standing water on my pad! Thanks to whoever recommended that! [insert beer icon here!]

Now, several people have mentioned "sealing" the concrete, both the pad and the tabletop. As stated earlier, I've never heard of sealing concrete except for my just emplaced stamped concrete.

No one has responded with any "why" I should seal a simple concrete pad. I *might* probably could see it for the tabletop. So, for those that recommended sealing this concrete, speak up!

As always: Thanks!

/ Concrete project: will this work? #57  
Essentially sealing the concrete (top mostly) as it is fully exposed to weather worse than the pad. TN does freeze often enough to get water into the concrete and freeze cracking it. Leave the BOTTOM un coated so moisture can be repelled on top and off the sides, while dry out what little may bet into it from the bottom. That will protect the table for years to come and maintain the integrity of it.

mark

/ Concrete project: will this work? #58  
Nice project! As far as sealer goes I had my sidewalks, patio, garage floor all sealed after they were finished and just reapplied the sealer to my garage floor this summer. Think of polyurethane on wood and that is the same basic effect this sealer has on concrete. Water beads up on it instead of soaking in and oil or whatever is easily wiped up without a mark on the floor. Is it needed for your project, that's up to you. Here is a picture of my garage floor partially done this summer, the old sealer was wearing off from a few years of road dirt, salt, etc.

Attachments

• image-1051041063.jpg
    image-1051041063.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 112
   / Concrete project: will this work? #59  
Sealer is applied to fresh concrete to slow the cure. The slower the cure, the stronger the concrete. After that, it protects it as stated above. You can get a small 1 gallon bucket of sealer and spray, brush, or roll it on.

/ Concrete project: will this work? #60  
Have you considered paint. A good quality oil or water based porch enamel (paint formulated for foot traffic) would last as long or longer than a sealer. The plus side is you could paint it in any color you wanted. Very nice bench.