Confessions of a Newbee

/ Confessions of a Newbee #11  
I would not consider this a confession. We were all 'newbies' at one time and may not have even had this resource to talk about.

If you are frustrated, take a break. Lots of accidents have happened because in a hurry and push the limits. Around here we use the term putz. If more than that then it is work, and that is a 4 letter word, and takes all the fun out of it. Seems there is always something else to do for a while for a change of pace.

If you are moving the stuff in the snow, then there will be lots of FEL practice time, not to mention blading. If your place is not enough, maybe your neighbors will let you practice on their place.

Congrats on your new purchase!!

/ Confessions of a Newbee #12  
Where is your loader control located? I have a friend with a Kubota that has the FEL control mounted on the FEL frame and it always seemed backward to her. She fought with it for 2 years, never could remember, get use to, lever up = bucket down, and vice versa. One day she swapped the lines on the valve, now lever up = bucket up, she is happy. I suspect the 'float' function doesn't work right any more... but I bet she never used it any way.

/ Confessions of a Newbee #13  
IXLR8 said:
I have a friend with a Kubota that has the FEL control mounted on the FEL frame and it always seemed backward to her. She fought with it for 2 years, never could remember, get use to, lever up = bucket down, and vice versa. One day she swapped the lines on the valve, now lever up = bucket up, she is happy. I suspect the 'float' function doesn't work right any more... but I bet she never used it any way.

I understand completely. My mid 80's kubota had a loader lever that was almost horizontally mounted, so 'up was down' and 'down was up'. This was completely counter-intuitive and quite ridiculous really. I struggled with it for weeks. I thought of switching the the hoses but I would have had 'float' on the 'loader up' position which would have been disappointing and potentially dangerous. In the end I made a very simple improvement. I simply removed the lever and bet it upwards about 30 degrees so that most of lever was vertical. I was instantly more comfortable with it.

/ Confessions of a Newbee #14  
LBrown59 said:
If worse comes to worse I can cheat a little and push the rock into the BX23 loader bucket with the 60'' front blade on the BX1500.
Hey Lee,
Yet another use for multiple machines. Still not proving the cost effectiveness of the purchase. How about giving up on the pictures and going all out. Get a VIDEO camera and tape one machine pushing a rock into the other's bucket. Then we'll put it on You Tube,

/ Confessions of a Newbee #15  
tony123 said:
I've got probably 20 hours or so using my boxblade, and still feel that I'm not getting great performance. I've practiced and practiced and it is still frustrating. It's helpful for pushing dirt around, and I've used it to manage large debris fires, but when it comes to getting a grade nice and smooth...:confused:

So, as everyone is suggesting, technique plays a large role in performance.

Technique does have something to do with it, but the boxblade is not used to dig deep for a lot of dirt. It is used to scrape a small amount less than an inch and drag it to another location. The box is to hold the dirt that is scraped to be put somewhere else. If you are not getting the amount you want or are getting too much dirt, try adjusting the toplink to dig more or less of the dirt (adjusts the angle of the blade). The 3ph does not create any down pressure on the boxblade so having it all the way down does not mean you are cutting the ground deeper. Weight of the boxblade is also a concern, the heavier the deeper it will dig, the lighter the more it will bounce along the ground depending on the type of dirt you are on. I don't know that I have helped, but there is more to it than just putting a boxblade on the tractor.