Confused by the size

/ Confused by the size #11  
"forever" is a subjective term.

A 5' rototiller can do an acre an hour. Strangely, a 6' tiller is about 20% faster.

There are multiple ways to go. One would be to till the land up with a tiller. It will do about the best job of mixing the top 5-7". It there is hardpan under the soil, a middle buster may be needed along with the tiller. Using a bottom plow will turn a good 12-14" over and followed by a disc and cultivator will result in a good seed bed too. No matter what you do, it will take time to turn a mucky spot into a farm field. Disturbing the soil will germinate weeds. Plan on tilling or discing every weekend for a month to kill off the weeds.

As a new farmer, I don't know if you will be smart to do all 16 acres all at once. That could be a way of spending a lot of time and money on seed/fertilizer/herbicides and get nothing back at the end. Visit your county extension agent and even the local feed mills. You will probably need to spray to kill weeds. Might be smart to plant roundup ready corn or beans and spray roundup 3-4 times over the summer / fall and again in the spring to deplete the seed bank. Then convert over to your "real" crop.

Looking at your wish list "I prefer a new compact tractor with cab, with a FEL and 5' tiller" and your budget of 20K ---- well those two don't go together when talking about 35-40+ hp tractors !

I think you can be well served in the 30-35hp range. Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Mahindra, Kioti and Farmtrac would be on my shopping list for new or slightly used. You can save 10k getting an older larger tractor 40-50hp range, but may have more repairs needed. It takes a fair amount of tools to repair a tractor in that size range. Not so much to maintain.

/ Confused by the size #12  
The Kubota L4400 or the JD 990 will get you the most hp for the buck in a new 4x4 compact....but no cab option on either one. You can get a 45hp Kubota L4400 with loader and rear remotes for under $20K. Anything else with 40+ hp and a cab is going to cost you a lot more than that.

/ Confused by the size
Thanks, john_bud. People here is so nice. Usually a rototiller can last how long, 2-3 years? For till 16 acres 4-5 time a year? Weeds is very serious problem on that land now. I just want to open 6 acres this year. After have someone help me bottom plow first, tiller couple times. Then plant some weed "friendly" veges like oriental winter-melon this year.
Cab, I realize now may not fit muck land, not only because of money, it is 500lb heavier than sunshed.

john_bud said:
"forever" is a subjective term.

A 5' rototiller can do an acre an hour. Strangely, a 6' tiller is about 20% faster.

/ Confused by the size
Thanks N80, I don't know I can get Kubota L4400 with FEL under $20K before. I will check it.
N80 said:
The Kubota L4400 or the JD 990 will get you the most hp for the buck in a new 4x4 compact....but no cab option on either one. You can get a 45hp Kubota L4400 with loader and rear remotes for under $20K. Anything else with 40+ hp and a cab is going to cost you a lot more than that.

/ Confused by the size #15  
M31 said:
Hi, I am the first time be an active user here. This is my the first post. Sametime, I am a brand new farmer too. Just bought a piece of land 36 acres orange county NY. 16 acres are drained muck land, others are trees.
Planning do vegetable and hardy nursery plants growing on 16 acres muck land. Also need spend time with trees, may be need enlarge an ATV trial (800 feet) to allow a truck pass. Clean some space among trees to build couple sheds or a small barn. But field work is major task to me in next five years.
Friends in tractorpoint.com give a lots of good suggestions. But I am confused with size and weight of tractors. within 20k budget, new compact tractor or big used one.The land like this muck land is very soft. I know to handle 16 acres is little too much for a less than 40HP tractors, but the over 100HP used tractor (close 8 tons) will be very easy to sink. Plus I am dummy on tractor repairing now. I prefer a new compact tractor with cab, with a FEL and 5' tiller, but afraid this dicision becomes mission impossible.:(
Any kinds of suggestions are appriciated.

Don't know how mucky your muck land is, but my MF-135 has 18.5-16 rear tires that might be the ticket. This 135 is an orchard tractor, hence the low-profile rears, which are pretty worn, but are OK for discing work.

Attachments

• DSCF0008-small.JPG
    DSCF0008-small.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF0015-small.JPG
    DSCF0015-small.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 122
   / Confused by the size
It is not that bad. I heared 150 years before it is bottom of lake. Right now it is totally nature drained. 10-15 feet top soil left. Thanks for your helping. Here is a picture might be telling a a lot.
zzPICT0110.jpg

flusher said:
Don't know how mucky your muck land is, but my MF-135 has 18.5-16 rear tires that might be the ticket. This 135 is an orchard tractor, hence the low-profile rears, which are pretty worn, but are OK for discing work.

/ Confused by the size #17  
I don't think you will need to till 5 times per year. Tilling is essentially a 1 pass seed bed prep(2 or 3 pass if it hasn't been worked before).

You will want to plant a cover crop if you till something up, and don't plant it to crops.

Discing/plowing, etc is a multi-pass process to creat a good seed bed. Each pass is faster, but I don't think that the total time would be much different with either process. Others should correct me on this if it is incorrect, as my experience is somewhat limited.

Chris