Confused on PTO generator size

/ Confused on PTO generator size
I just looked and took the survey over at Generac. According to its survey… I need in the range of 20 kw - 27 kw for my house. That seems like a lot to me, but I have no experience with being off the grid and looking at alternative power. I have just dealt with the power outages. Is it fair to say that the standby generators would require more maintenance but would be easier to use?

Appreciating your replies

/ Confused on PTO generator size #22  
I am in the process of working this out right now. My plan is to use a manual transfer switch but as my
basement is finished the area of the panel is not large enough to accommodate a transfer switch.

I am looking at the Generlink product which just plugs into the meter base but I am sure it will be fun getting this approved with NB Power.

Only other option would be an external transfer switch which could be very costly.

How does the generator connect to the transfer switch ?

/ Confused on PTO generator size #23  
Don't get me wrong, my preference would be the Generac unit as well but I really can't justify $5K + for something that may not happen again for a couple of years. If I had outages on a more regular basis, I would do it. For me I would need to expand my propane storage capacity as I can't get delivery once the winter starts due to the steepness and length of my driveway. Again lots of costs so I am trying to mitigate the possibility in a reasonable manner which will be a $1600 PTO generator and maybe a $1K switch. I would bet your setup would be close to 10k here for me in NB.

When I went through this a few years ago we went with a Generac 20kw standby generator. Best decision I ever made(after the wife). It came with the transfer switch and powers the whole house, everything! We have Geothermal heat, well, electric stove. You start adding all the 220 loads and it was easier and made sense to power it all. I have no complaints on the Generac generator. good product. When it is cold, blowing and generally nasty, I do not have to go out and get the tractor. Another factor is when I am not home it still works. My wife does not have to try to hook up a PTO and get it set up if I am gone. It is a set and it is always ready. IMHO the best way to go. I bought mine at Farm and Fleet here in Iowa. It was $4200. I spent another $1000 with the electrician and the propane co to run a new liquid line and regulator. Cheap insurance.

/ Confused on PTO generator size #24  
I will just add this note....We have only had 2 power outages that lasted 3 and 4 days in the last 30 yrs. or so....but a few that last an hour to a few hours....So I bought the PTO genny 3 yrs. ago...I have not had a power outage since I bought it....so one way to never have a power outage seems to be to buy a generator....I run it under load once a yr. just to keep up but I think I would not be too happy if I had spent thousands of dollars...:2cents:

/ Confused on PTO generator size #25  
The Gener-link is the among the simplest and economical methods to power the entire electrical service with up to 10 or 12.5KW of power. Even includes a 20ft power cable. Max rating is 40amp per line. Probably the easiest unit to satisfy electrical inspectors with too.
The sliding interlock bolted onto the face of the existing breaker panel is probably the cheapest if there is a way to run power from inside to outside the house. More capacity possible too above 40amps.

/ Confused on PTO generator size #26  
I will just add this note....We have only had 2 power outages that lasted 3 and 4 days in the last 30 yrs. or so....but a few that last an hour to a few hours....So I bought the PTO genny 3 yrs. ago...I have not had a power outage since I bought it....so one way to never have a power outage seems to be to buy a generator....I run it under load once a yr. just to keep up but I think I would not be too happy if I had spent thousands of dollars...:2cents:

i hear ya.

I bought my 12.5k unit in 04 right before the bad storms. used it 04/05.. one outtage over a week. and then used it at the farm for the well while waiting for power. past that it has had an easy life. has done some welding hooked to a carry-all on a palate that and a buzz box welded.. drove around to where needed. but again. not much use. :) kind alike insurance. get it.. then don't need it. ;)

/ Confused on PTO generator size #27  
The Gener-link is the among the simplest and economical methods to power the entire electrical service with up to 10 or 12.5KW of power. Even includes a 20ft power cable. Max rating is 40amp per line. Probably the easiest unit to satisfy electrical inspectors with too.

I just recently checked with our power company. They don't allow it.

:(

Bruce

/ Confused on PTO generator size #28  

Bruce

That is a shame. Then your utility wonders why it has a higher than normal infestation of jackleg electricians that back feed 120/240 generators into welding receptacles.
Does the utility offer a turn-key transfer switch package ?

/ Confused on PTO generator size #29  

Bruce
Howdy,
If the Generlink product is not allowed, then look over the options from PSP Products Transconnect.

/ Confused on PTO generator size #30  
uietRe: Confused on PTO generator size

I dont have in front of me your load calcs or what appliances you HAVE to run as opposed to what you want to run. I install lots of generator systems for people, and youd be surprised how small some units need to be.

My house is supplied by a 7.5KW fixed propane unit. It powers up all upstairs lights, garage door openers,all tv and entertainment, refer, freezer, gas furnace (fans, ighniters) and gas water heaters. I got rid of my electric range top and electric water heaters and installed propane units so i didnt need as large of a generator.

I am only using a little over 1/2 of my generators output at this load.

I have a manual transfer panel so i dont have to worry about switching off the heat pump, a/c etc. My generator only powers up the panel i want powered up.

Now for the bad news. I want to add my barns power load (fed from house panel) and my now completed basement off of the generator. But this will overburden my 7.5 kw unit. Im looking at installing a 14KW Generac ($2,800) and also looking into the newer QuietSource Generac liquid cooled units ($7,500). This will power my entire house and barn (has 4 heated horse waterers).

A 14 KW generator will power LOTS of stuff. Ive installed many of these sized units in custom 4,000 SF homes and have had no issues. Most of my clients dont want an automatic transfer switch as there vacation homes, and dont want them running if there not home.

In the OP's case, depending on what panel you have in the house, there are MANY different manual transfer options available that can cost under $80.00 to instrall

A full scale automatic transfer switch CANNOT be adapted to run a pto generator, as they need constant input of power and 12v battery relay from generator to operate.