Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #1  

leadfarmer

Tractor
Kubota L3400-MT, CAT 85J 955L, 44A D6B, 1937 R5 Gas Dozer
I have 23 acres in SW PA (half woods/half pasture) and I am considering a crawler loader for handling the following:

- Clear 2 thickly wooded acres for pasture (no old growth, all 10" or less trees)
- Move a large amount of dirt from a high area to a low area to build up level around a barn for an addition
- Level an area for an outdoor riding ring
- Level an area for a large pole barn
- Make some trails
- Make some shooting range back stops

Budget is $10k. I would like to buy one machine, utilize it for a few years, then pass it on.

I have looked at some "450" size Case, JD, and IH machines and most have steering/brake issues and seem very worn out in general. I'm capable of a lot of repairs but I really need something I can put to work right away. I'm already fixing up a dump truck I purchased, working on the house, and fighting to take back a small farm that was let go decades ago. Not much time for another project repairing a machine (thought I know anything can go wrong with a used machine).

My search has lead me to a 1978 JD 755 crawler loader for sale for $10k obo. Undercarriage looks great and I believe when the seller says it was all replaced several years ago. I am familiar with the current owner and previous owner. The previous owner used it and I believe he would of taken care of it, which included the UC replacement. The current owner has not used it. The only known issue at this time is a leaking input shaft seal on what I believe is the left hand transmission pump (under the operator seat and batteries). New seal is on hand, and it looks like a job I can handle, but I'm told it was run that way for a long time and the fluid level was maintained.

The machine has sat for 3-4 years without use. It was parked on cribbing up off the ground, out in the elements with the exhaust covered. Overall, the machine looks good. Way better than all the others I have looked at in my price range. Foot controls would be nice to have for steering.

The seller is getting new 24v batteries and fluids so we can start it up this weekend and I can test everything.

I will probably bring some diesel fuel and additives since it has sat for so long. Maybe even drain the fuel that's in it now?

This weekend I plan to check the manual he has for any cold start up instructions, check the fluids, and then fire it up and let it warm up since it is a full hydro machine.

The full hydro seems like a good thing to me, as long as it all works and stays working!

If everything works I plan to make an offer and hopefully arrange a truck to bring it home.

Is there anything else I should expect, other than checking fluid levels, inspecting the UC closely, and running it through the motions once the machine is warmed up?

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #2  
A guy I know had one (Dozer) at my place. I swear, it burst one hose after another. I wasn't too impressed with the downtime and oil contamination. Then a drive motor. I don't think it has ever run again (eight years later) . He bought another. You can afford to buy them but not fix them. I doubt ten grand would touch a drive motor.

DSC02541.JPG

Sweet looking machine though. Easy to fall in love with!

I always had a thing for the JD 450, later wet clutch series. But everything I read, suggest that the Case is a better machine to buy.

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #3  
A guy I know had one (Dozer) at my place. I swear, it burst one hose after another. I wasn't too impressed with the downtime and oil contamination. Then a drive motor. I don't think it has ever run again (eight years later) . He bought another. You can afford to buy them but not fix them. I doubt ten grand would touch a drive motor.

View attachment 631252

Sweet looking machine though. Easy to fall in love with!

I always had a thing for the JD 450, later wet clutch series. But everything I read, suggest that the Case is a better machine to buy.
I was told the same thing by somebody who has run equipment all of his life. I was quizzing him about what to look for, and there is something about the Case final drives which he said is better.

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #4  
I have 23 acres in SW PA (half woods/half pasture) and I am considering a crawler loader for handling the following:

- Clear 2 thickly wooded acres for pasture (no old growth, all 10" or less trees)
- Move a large amount of dirt from a high area to a low area to build up level around a barn for an addition
- Level an area for an outdoor riding ring
- Level an area for a large pole barn
- Make some trails
- Make some shooting range back stops

Budget is $10k. I would like to buy one machine, utilize it for a few years, then pass it on.

I have looked at some "450" size Case, JD, and IH machines and most have steering/brake issues and seem very worn out in general. I'm capable of a lot of repairs but I really need something I can put to work right away. I'm already fixing up a dump truck I purchased, working on the house, and fighting to take back a small farm that was let go decades ago. Not much time for another project repairing a machine (thought I know anything can go wrong with a used machine).

My search has lead me to a 1978 JD 755 crawler loader for sale for $10k obo. Undercarriage looks great and I believe when the seller says it was all replaced several years ago. I am familiar with the current owner and previous owner. The previous owner used it and I believe he would of taken care of it, which included the UC replacement. The current owner has not used it. The only known issue at this time is a leaking input shaft seal on what I believe is the left hand transmission pump (under the operator seat and batteries). New seal is on hand, and it looks like a job I can handle, but I'm told it was run that way for a long time and the fluid level was maintained.

The machine has sat for 3-4 years without use. It was parked on cribbing up off the ground, out in the elements with the exhaust covered. Overall, the machine looks good. Way better than all the others I have looked at in my price range. Foot controls would be nice to have for steering.

The seller is getting new 24v batteries and fluids so we can start it up this weekend and I can test everything.

I will probably bring some diesel fuel and additives since it has sat for so long. Maybe even drain the fuel that's in it now?

This weekend I plan to check the manual he has for any cold start up instructions, check the fluids, and then fire it up and let it warm up since it is a full hydro machine.

The full hydro seems like a good thing to me, as long as it all works and stays working!

If everything works I plan to make an offer and hopefully arrange a truck to bring it home.

Is there anything else I should expect, other than checking fluid levels, inspecting the UC closely, and running it through the motions once the machine is warmed up?

Having once owned an old crawler that was in "good condition".
DO NOT DO IT!
Unless......you are willing to spend another 20K to fix it, and then will be willing to sell it for 7K.
Can you find a machine to rent by the week in SW PA.?

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #5  
1978, is that a dry clutch machine? Dry clutch machines HATE to be set and not used, especially deere...

EVERYONE wants a dozer, until they get it and have to pay to fix it!!

SR

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #6  
It's a hydrostat.

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader
Any alternative suggestions for how to go about accomplishing all my land clearing and earth moving plans?

I really dislike renting and lining someone else's pockets, but as pointed out, the risk to buying is big.

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #8  
I think, dozers have to be about the worst. In a case like that, you are always better off to spend more on a good piece of equipment, and then sell it, often for what you paid. I think on a dozer, the hours mean everything. Personally, I think a nice looking cheap dozer is a trap.

I too can't stand renting.

Most guys that I know that have dozers, that are not in the business are in some sort of business so that machine and any repairs are expensed through the business. Same thing with me.

Last edited:
   / Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader
I ended up deciding to pass on the JD after finding another forum where there were multiple comments stating they are a strong machine but being full hydro, any repair is very complex and costly.

BUT I did buy a CAT 955L with a "13X" serial number and it is getting dropped off today for $8k. I consider it to be a good deal. The machine runs strong, has been used lovingly by a home owner clearing land, and so far I have identified the only repairs needed are a leaking hard line on a lift cylinder and the right track clutch/brake needs a small adjustment. I say small because it works somewhat and then works fine once the machine has been run a bit, so something seems to be just a little out of adjustment or sticking.

Now to find a manual!

/ Considering a 1978 JD 755 Crawler Loader #10  
"Now to find a manual! "
I've always had good luck finding manuals for old equipment on ebay. Good luck with your machine.

SimS